• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5 now going SYE what shim size?

alwaysready

NAXJA Forum User
i installed my re 3.5 and i did a t-case drop and there is a slight vibe from 35-45mph i planned on gogin SYE anyways the drop was a quick fix.
so i have the sye shaft and flange but i forgot about the shim.
If i rember correctly the pinion needs to face the output of the t-case with the double cardon shaft(CORRECT?)
and i cant measure the angles since i did my t-case drop so what is the normal degree shim used when at 3.5 lift? thakns any any other info appreciated..

I think your best off waiting until you get it all one (PITA i know) but I did mine and had 4* in there, and it was still 3* off center, and vibed a bit, so I got 6* which put me 1* under parallel with the output of the TC and it worked good for me.

Trust me though I KNOW it sucks having to keep on waiting to get parts in!

Chris, I got some sweet neon green RE*6 shims. Let me know if ya want them to try out. Chances are it might be too much but hell, gimmie a call if ya want them.

Sam

its a 2000
30-35 combo
Sam thanks but i think thats too much.. (you got PM coming)

Hey Sam why do you have an avatar of an octopus shaking his head?

but well see alrigh i guess then i have to get my other stuff done then.
have to put on the winch bumper and winch
then spacer the front to get it back up
get alignment
then take the t-case drop out and figure out the degrees.
put t-case drop back in till i get the parts..
ohh fun :D

Last edited:
You could save some greif and buy a magnetic base angle finder and locate the exact angle that you need, it will take the guess work out of it so you can do it once and do it right. I speak from experience, it's worth spending the $10 for the angle finder.

umm i have 2 of them sitting in my shop.
the problem is that with the t-case drop it changed the angle of the t-case.
so i will have to take the t-case drop out check the angles put the t-case drop back in since its my DD.
i figured if everyone was using 3-4 degrees id just pick one and be happy. sounds like 4 is the magic number but looks like ill have to take the t-case drop out anyways too see what it really is.

get a string and tie it to the axle end of the DS then hold it up about an inch over the TC end of the DS then measure the angle of the string... yeah, a little ghetto, but still it might work. It's worth the try.

I have 5.5 inches in the rear and 5 up front, i used a 4 degree, but i also have a bastard pack in the rear which could mess with it.

yeah the bastard pack might be different,
i was just waiting to here from some 3.5 guys..
the string is a good idea though maybe ill get a piece of angle iron or something to try and figure it out..

angle iron sounds even better. something solid to stand the finder against.

I have the RE4.5SF kit and Dana 44. I used 6* shims and they were perfect. If you want to order all the parts first, I would buy the 4* shims as recommended previously.

Back