• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Knuckle removal...Simple?

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
I was reading about removing my steering knuckle. Didn't seem too complex. Are there any writeups with photos around?

Basically it looks like its just remove the hub locknut and main nut.
Remove the 3 bolts holding it to the knuckle.
Pull that off.
Pull out the axle shaft.
Loosen up the castellated nuts on the ball joints.
Pop the steering knuckle with a big hammer to loosen them off the ball joints.
Remove it.
Replacement is opposite of removal.

Anything left out? Any tips?

Thanks.

I just took off my steering knuckle a few days ago, and found that it was real hard to take out the bearing carrier. Not sure of the actual name, but it's the piece that is held in by the three bolts, holds the bearings and the hub in it. Mines turned out to be fused to the knuckle with rust.

Mines is an 87, so newer Jeeps may not be affected as much. I had to insert the bolts back in but not quite all the way and pounded them with a copper hammer (as to not damage them). It took me about 40 mins just for that one side.

It eventually came out, I just hated pounding so much.

Handle with care?

Don't let the loose end flop around - keep it under control once you can get your other hand on it. A little grease on the splines won't go amiss when reinstalling it - that helps it slip over the seal without tearing it. Go slow and easy, and you'll be alright.

5-90

one more thing.....anyone know where I can get a good condition Drivers side steering knuckle WITHOUT stripped caliper threads?

And who has the best prices on hub bearing assy's. I may as well replace that too as long as its out.

bustednutz said:
one more thing.....anyone know where I can get a good condition Drivers side steering knuckle WITHOUT stripped caliper threads?

And who has the best prices on hub bearing assy's. I may as well replace that too as long as its out.

Good question - might be easier to use a HeliCoil, if you have access to a drill press.

Hub bearings are going to be spendy - I just got a pair of Timkens last month for about $90 each (walk-in - needed them quick.) If you're going to order, I'd go with Timken or Crown...

5-90

I did the Heli-Coil thing 2 years ago. I did it with a hand drill. Needless to say, the holes had a slight angle to them. The caliper pins went in, but it was very very hard due to the lack of a perfectly straight hole.

Well after 2 years, the stress of the improper drilled holes is starting to take its toll. Uneven pad wear on that side, a faint squeek with every rotation of the wheel, rotor starting to warp on that side.

So the heli-coil held great for 2 years, but I fear the stress may be catching up to it. So its time to do it right.

Anyone with a good knuckle for the drivers side? 98 XJ Sport.

Back