• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Projectors HID

tjmwr7

NAXJA Forum User
Iv been looking into an HID kit for awhile. I bought the ebay wanna be projectors awhile back. Horrible lighting with those blue bulbs. So for the mean time i bought some silverstar h4 bulbs. STILL SUCKED. Because the projector was not fully enclosed it just blurred everything. I had the silver star sealed beams and loved em. So if i do the HID 6000k kit, how will they work in these lamp housings? Iv searched for enclosed housings. Anybody make em? Love the enclosed tj housings. Has anybody Enclosed there housings?????
HELP HELP HELP

Ah, this is my area!! I'm a lighting whore lol.

One thing you need to do is NOT purchase an HID "Kit." They are extremely illegal in all states, so much so that you can be fined up to $250,000 as people have been killed from HID "kit" glare. Join up on the forums over at www.hidplanet.com.

If you want amazing (non-projector) halogen lighting (Silverstars do suck IMO), do what I did...

-Custom 12 gauge headlight wiring harness with Hella relays - $80 shipped
-Hella E-code H4 conversion headlight housings - $65 shipped
-Osram Hyper White H4 bulbs - $50 shipped

This setup is nearly HID quality output. Driving down the highway or next to my friends HID equipped vehicles, the output is almost identical. If you add some great fogs to it you're golden.

If you need/want to go the projector route, do this... Purchase some cheap eBay housings with completely clear (non-fluted) lenses. Purchase some Bosch, Hella, Mercedes E55 or Audi RS6 projectors. Also, purchase the applicable ballasts, wiring and bulbs. You can then cut the rear of the housing out, retrofit the projectors into the housings, and you're set. This can all be purchased used on the HID Planet forums (or similar forums). You can do an entire, 100% LEGAL, projector HID retrofit kit into your Cherokee for less than $400 (If not less than $200 if you can find them cheaper). This is the way to do it legally and have the best possible output as well.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, just ask.

Your probably better off getting a lamp housing that will allow you to use H4 bulbs and then put the HID conversion kit in it and upgrade your wire harness. You can even get alot more output of your silverstars by upgrading your harness to 12ga wiring.

HID kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H1-H3-H4-H7-H11-9005-9006-9007-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-XENON_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQihZ022QQitemZ350007262337QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVWQQtcZphoto

IPF lens (don't buy from rocky road, just using for example)
http://www.rocky-road.com/xjipfH4.html

Conversio wirte up: Just use HID kit instead of H$ halogen bulbs
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/electrical/ipf_h4_01/

Do NOT buy an HID kit.

..... again.. do NOT buy an HID kit!!! They are illegal unless used with a retrofit projector setup. Even then, some states still have bans on them. Be careful please.

Haven't had any problems in FL, I did however purchase an HID kit that is specifically designed for retrofiting stock lenses. They have a reflective shield of the top section of the bulb to prevent glair into oncoming traffic. HID kit can be great when they are done properly.

I agree with pierce. Im def goin with the HIDs Iv got the h4 housing setup. And ghost im looking for somethen like your buddies jeep. That looks so nice.
I live in a small town. people let alone cops wouldnt know the difference here. I drive around with my KCs on all the time cuz i forget to turn em off.(got just 50 watt silvers in and pointed downward) Nobody flashes me. Iv did a full LED Conversoin in my jeep. Im a light freak too. U should see my flash light collection. I was hopin somebody sold some inclosed ones like they sell for the wranglers. Maybe ill just convert my lights to tj lights?
Or build my to be fully inclosed.

Also why spend even 200 bucks for your setup when i get the HIGHLY ILLEGAL
kit for 70????????????? Plus i could just run from the cops. haha

I'm just throwing out the warning is all. It's a federal offence, hence the up to $250,000 fine that's now in place. I'd rather pay more to be legal and have great lighting. If you purchase an HID kit and install it into a halogen reflector housing, you're not getting better light.. You're just getting more, widely scattered light.

PLEASE read this before you do anything... just read it.. that's all I am asking:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

A side note: The cops here have a wide array of vehicles, including 5.0L Mustang's, Dodge Chargers, typical Crown Vic's, Explorers, Expeditions, Impala's, 2 and 4 door XJ's, dirt bikes and ATV's.. not to mention helicopters and.. well.. radio's lol. There's no running from 'em if you tried.

see thats were all my flashlights come in handy..... I blind them all.

Ok but lets say i opened the lamp housing.... Made it into a fully enclosed

projector. not the entire housing but around the projector.......... There was

vehichle without projectors with HIDs such as some of the older mazdas and such

I've seen a retrofit of that nature done by both a guy on the forums at http://www.hidplanet.com and also a few companies that sell them put together already (ripoff at hundreds of dollars!!).

I'm passing out right now, but tomorrow I'll see if I can find that photo and writeup for ya.

HMMM dont pass out. That would be sweet thanks. Oh on another note: i probably wont drive it as much once i get my work car fixed... So calm down ghost were gunna be ok

Have you guys tried these???????????
24517.jpg

Delta H.I.D. Headlight Systems produce super bright "like daylight" light and are 37% more efficient than Halogen.

The result is a soft, clear, almost bluish white light which is easy on your eyes because of its natural "daytime-like" color. Combined with our unique Electronic Multi-Focal Point System™ which provides a true High/Low H.I.D. headlight beam.

The Delta headlight fixtures are equipped with lead crystal lens with "E" Mark certified precision optics and steel-stamped reflectors. DOT Certification under development for H.I.D. system.

Direct Replacement for 6052 / 6054 / H6052 / H6054-"For Export Market Only"

Each system contains:

• (2) Complete headlights equipped with H4 H.I.D. elements
• (2) 12V H.I.D. ballasts (also available in 24V) with built-in igniters
• (2) High voltage power cords
• (2) Hi/Lo Control Units
• (2) Complete H.I.D. harnesses
• (2) H4 plug adapters w/Snap-Lock connectors

Yep, we sell the Delta kits (I can just find TJ/CJ at this moment, but we have the XJ/YJ as well somewhere):
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_400.htm

Once Delta gets the DOT certs for them, they'll be great - Similar to how the Sylvania Xenarcs were for our applications, but no longer.

For what I said last night, here's a similar writeup, but not the one I was talking about:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5041

The sizes are the same, but you get the general idea. I'll look more for the Toyota one I saw later tonight if I get a chance. The other one I saw, the guy had the housing done up real nice, where it was all filled, but there was a hole in the center where the projector poked out. It looked real cool.

I've seen the Xenarcs here and there occasionally, are they worth the money, and can replacement parts be come by? I just installed E-codes and will be installing a new wiring harness this weekend, if I need more light than that the Xenarcs look pretty attractive.

Xenarcs are no longer made for our applications. Sylvania discontinued them. They still offer them for specific vehicle applications, not ours.

Ah, yes they still manufacture those. I love light, but with my setup I am actually happy. I have Hella 550 fogs that I run with my headlight setup and that makes my output perfect.

I am surprised they still have 'em. When Sylvania discontinued them, but still had stock, their price dropped down to about $129. That was crazy good for what you got.

Where do you get your Osram Hyper Whites? I was looking at getting some Philips X-treme +80s but it looks like I have to order them from the UK.

Back