• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is in my xj ?

theres a tag on the rear axle and i think its the first 3 numbers in the second row. that will tell you your gears im pretty sure. :eeks1:

La Verne? California?

Hello neighbor.

The VIN will only tell you basic stuff like year, make, model, trim package, and so forth. It won't tell you the options that were ordered or your paint color or anything like that.

There is a contact page on the jeep.com web site, and if you ask the customer service people for the build information and give them your VIN (in the message) then they might pull the build sheet for you. I asked them twice and they came through for me on the second try.

ehall said:
There is a contact page on the jeep.com web site, and if you ask the customer service people for the build information and give them your VIN (in the message) then they might pull the build sheet for you. I asked them twice and they came through for me on the second try.
I like your thinkin, but if its older than 89 they are unable to print a build sheet. I tried it with my 88, and they said since it was still basically AMC, they couldnt print a sheet because their wasnt any data for it. Too old.

couldnt get a vin read out on my 89 as well.

as for gearing. if it has the 4.0 engine;
auto tranny, 3.55 gearing
manual tranny, 3.07

if the tag is gone, you could take the cover off and count the teeth on the r&p.

That should get you in the right direction. I know everyone whats quick answers but this is right in the frequently asked questions spot on the forum home page(start page). The search feature is your friend as well. I have had many a questioned answered by using the search botton.
89xj is right though. Also instead of counting teeth you can take the cover off and stamped on the ring gear is the tooth number for both the pinion and ring gear. Just divide the ring gear(larger #) by the pinion gear(lower #). hope that help

Back