• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242J rebuilid

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at a 242J that does not work, no external damage, how difficult is it to rebuild the 242 ? I've had 231's apart with no problems but the 242 is a new animal for me. Does anyone sell a rebuild kit ? I'm figuring they cooked that full time diff in there. Works fine in 2wd so it's not totally toasted, still used as a DD by the owner. Oh and it comes complete with a 98ZJ attached for $1700

I'm going to do one of my spare 242's over the winter. I'm getting the whole rebuilder kit. I did see a wider chain somewhere but for the life of me I can't remember where.

Shoot me a PM with your email if you need the FSM directions for the rebuild.

You will need lock ring pliers. I'm pretty sure these are the ones I used.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947386000P?keyword=ring+pliers

Here is one place to get the rebuild kit. It comes with all the bearings and seals.

http://www.rigidsteel.com/y157pC3tIGk0.html

I'm pretty sure I got my chain for $60, try searching for the part #. If the chain is really stretched, some people recommend replacing the cogs it rides on.They can be bought at the stealership.

I rented the ballljoint press from Vato Zone and used the sleeves to help remove/install the bearings.

You might as well buy a new oil pump too. I think it runs about $30. You will also need a #1 easy out.

I gotta ask... why a #1 EZ out? I don't get why an ez out would be "needed"... I mean, once you ez-out whatever it is, how does it get reinstalled?

over2land said:
I gotta ask... why a #1 EZ out? I don't get why an ez out would be "needed"... I mean, once you ez-out whatever it is, how does it get reinstalled?

It's a hollow pin. The EZ out fits inside and you can pull it out. You shove it back in afterwards basically. I can't remember if I got a new one in the master rebuild kit or not.

RichP, if you have a chance when you do the 242 rebuild do you think you could take some pics? There isn't much info on 242 stuff and a good write up, or at least a few pics with dialogue would be of great help to those of us with the 242. Thanks for your consideration!!

pierceME311 said:
RichP, if you have a chance when you do the 242 rebuild do you think you could take some pics? There isn't much info on 242 stuff and a good write up, or at least a few pics with dialogue would be of great help to those of us with the 242. Thanks for your consideration!!

Thats a given provided I actually buy the ZJ it's in. I'll probably drag it up to joes at endless mountain and bribe him with some of my wifes baked goods, he's 10 minutes up the street..

I have had my 242 apart and back together a few times this fall, my first transfer case apart. I would like to swap it into my dd for the 231 but not that brave yet, yes those spring clips are tough without the right tool. I would love to see your write up Rich too, let us know. By the way is it really necessary to get a complete rebuild kit? Tight budget and it worked well when I removed it, so much to spend the money on, if everyone thinks its necessary I'll bite the bullet.

Last edited:
I like to do things once, do em right and not have to do them again for as long as possible. If there is a way to make it even stronger than it is I'm all ears if anyone knows how.

Jeep914x4 said:
It's a hollow pin. The EZ out fits inside and you can pull it out. You shove it back in afterwards basically. I can't remember if I got a new one in the master rebuild kit or not.

Like a roll pin? Or just a chincy tiny little piece of tubing?

To all of you that own or may own a select trac Jeep.
Some states require dyno test for emission tests.
You MUST be in 2WD mode for the test.
In 4PT the Jeep will be fighting with the front axle trying to move.
In 4FT the differential in the 242 will go bananas while allowing the rear driveshaft to take all the RPMs. It will overspeed and could possibly fail.
That also means that if you are stuck with one axle on ice and the other on solid ground it is time to put the TC in PT mode.
This has been mentioned before, I hope you don't mind reminder.

falcon556 said:
To all of you that own or may own a select trac Jeep.
Some states require dyno test for emission tests.
You MUST be in 2WD mode for the test.
In 4PT the Jeep will be fighting with the front axle trying to move.
In 4FT the differential in the 242 will go bananas while allowing the rear driveshaft to take all the RPMs. It will overspeed and could possibly fail.
That also means that if you are stuck with one axle on ice and the other on solid ground it is time to put the TC in PT mode.
This has been mentioned before, I hope you don't mind reminder.

Actually if you get stuck with one front and one rear tire on ice it's time to put in lockers :D Thats what I told my wife anyway, going in for the rear one in two weeks on her ZJ :D :D :D
She mentioned last nite coming out of home depot that the XJ was sitting a bit low in the azz end so I said springs are shot, after all it has almost 400,000mi on it, she said then go ahead and get new ones, OME here I come as soon as I figure out where to get the money...

Jeep914x4 said:
TIMKEN Part # TCRK242

Timken part # for the rebuild kit. I got it from Rock Auto for $105 shipped.

I got a call today that the kit was on backorder from Timken and there was no date it was expected... dang it....

242's have a problem with the planet gear retaining pins working loose from the diff housing. I usually check really close for cracks in the spot welds they use at the factory. It's not a bad idea to v-notch and reweld the pins while you're in there.

Back