• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine light: trans ecm not "talking" to engine ecm

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, my check engine light is on, the transmission will not shift normal. I can floor it and it will shift at 3,000 rpm every time, won't wind out. driving normal it does the same thing, but winds out more than it should, not always to 3k though, but never more than.

A couple of months ago I had it in the shop trying to get an ASD switch problem fixed(caused by a river and a lot of water), the guy at the shop told me the ecm's weren't talking to each other, but was working fine, check engine light went off that day and never had any issues with it, till this week. I haven't got the code checked yet, as I have no money right now(got laid off), any suggestions where to start looking? Hoping its just a bad connection/loose wire but I don't know where to start looking.

I understand Autozone will check codes for free. Getting the actual code should help clear things up. Assuming it's a 2001, the tranny codes are generally point you in the right direction. Could be as simple as a bad throttle position sensor.

hot_rod_hooligans said:
Prob not the tps, replaced that maybe 3 months ago.

tps can go bad, especially non oem/mopar units or if it got wet.

have you pulled the codes.

maybe a bad shift solinoid

Back