• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tips on flat belly up

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
so my 95XJ, 4.0L, AW4, NP231 is so rusty all over that it wouldn't be much work to open up the trans tunnel if i needed to.

so i was playing with the idea of doing a flat(ish) belly up skid plate. i've installed some of the aftermarket once on TJ's and really like the clearance it provides along with the cool flush look.

i was thinking the only "major" problem is the body clearance. on TJ's the belly ups require a 1" body lift and 1" motor mount lift.

now i "should" be able to clear the engine with the hood in the stock location right??? now with my throttle body spacer, it probably won't clear but i could just either use spacers to locate to hood up, or build a set of scoops into the hood so it would clear without showing.

as for the floor of the XJ. it "looks" like everything would clear with about 1/4-1/2" of clearance. is there any reason i can't or shouldn't run the drivetrain that close to the floor??? (other than increased heat in the cab) or has anyone tried cutting/reshaping the trans tunnel to make it fit???

also i know i've seen a picture on here somewhere a long time ago of somebody that had a relatively flat belly skid but i can't find it anymore. has anyone here tried it and have any pics i could use to get some additional ideas???

any additional tips or suggestions on anything i might have overlooked or should consider???

I beleive the belly skid from TNT customs is about as high clearance/belly-up as you can find on the market...might want to check out the pics on their site, they have quite a few (with their y-link kit).

you said "find on the market". i'm talking about doing this myself so i have a little more freedom then aftermarket. after all, i don't think companies would sell alot of belly ups that require cutting up your floor.

What i meant was, thats the only one I know of that exists that you could reference. Sorry.

I ran into a guy the RCROCKS event @ rausch creek and he clocked his 231 and basically had a flat belly skid. He was going on how he did it but it had me a little confused. He said that he got under measured everything up the drilled new holes in the TC and turned it up a little bit. He said it was very easy to drill because the case is fairly soft. It was the highest mounted x-member I have seen on an xj. It was all homebrewed and I have never seen it again

Back