• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty off road intake package

Welcome.

If you look, there's a whole thread with people flaming the hell out of the K&N setup - personally, I love mine and have no problems with it - I think some people either OVER oil theirs, or UNDER oil them.
The Rusty's setup is a budget version of the K&N - I've heard it works pretty good, and yes, I'd get the dry charger too.

Do you have acess to a sawzaw, jig saw, grinder, or hack saw? What about a drill?

www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/7

Just build you rown and save some $$

AEM, aFe, K&N, Rock-It....i think those are a few....

You're gonna want to make real sure the contections have some flexability in them. The 4.0L is a torquey motor and the soft rubber motor mounts will allow it to rock back and forth enough to disconnect a rigid filter tube.

Save your money and do a little work to the stock airbox. From what Ive read, an OEM paper will allow more than enough airflow for even a very built 4.0

I'd recommend taking a look at this site to get a few idea's.
http://jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/index.html

I just enlarged the opening on the front of my stock airbox as well as some of the sheet metal behind the driver side headlight, then created a bit of an air dam to prevent hot air from the engine bay from entering the intake. While it isn't perfect, I noticed a huge (and I do mean that, I'm not exaggerating!) increase in accelleration and performance. No longer does my jeep feel like it's breathing through a straw.

Here is my setup, there are millions like it, use the search feature.... About $40 and a few beers worth of time.
100_0576.jpg

Last edited:
ive got it. great stuff. i got the bigger filter, tube, TB spacer and cat back with the flowmaster for $225 a few years back.

Last edited:
djxjer said:
CLUNK - you got any pictures of the set up?

sorry, no pictures but I basically followed this article (on the page I linked to earlier). http://jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/ramair.html

Instead of using a larger rectangular piece off the front of the airbox I used a 4" to 3" PVC adapter. Seems to work very well. I'd imagine that it might be a bit easier to get water into the airbox with the enlarged opening, but since the jeep is my DD and light trail/logging road explorer/camping machine I don't worry about it too much.

clunk said:
Save your money and do a little work to the stock airbox. From what Ive read, an OEM paper will allow more than enough airflow for even a very built 4.0

I'd recommend taking a look at this site to get a few idea's.
http://jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/index.html

I just enlarged the opening on the front of my stock airbox as well as some of the sheet metal behind the driver side headlight, then created a bit of an air dam to prevent hot air from the engine bay from entering the intake. While it isn't perfect, I noticed a huge (and I do mean that, I'm not exaggerating!) increase in accelleration and performance. No longer does my jeep feel like it's breathing through a straw.

i did that before i bought the tube. the round filer helps a lot.

Back