• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new here... please talk me out of it.

zeelaagee

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all.

I wanted to formally introduce myself and share my XJ story. My name is Andy. I’ve been lurking on this site quite a bit after I decided to do a lift and found I was not getting the right kinds of information from the shops I was visiting. The info on this site is amazing!

It all started innocently enough a couple of months ago. I took her in to get some new tires. What I saw while she was on the rack was a true shame… tired, worn out suspension parts that clearly needed replacing. The choices: stick with stock… OR… upgrade. “I’ll do some research,” I thought. Can someone pull this needle from my arm for me please?

As she sits now, it’s bone stock all the way around. ’00 Classic with 106+k, 242tc, lp30 & 8.25 stock. Every thing is still in great shape (except suspension).

I guess I should state that I’m not a rock crawling, technical driving kind of guy- I’m more looking for a reliable trail rig that I know will get me through the backcountry with fewer worries of getting stuck. I also have visions of traveling to Baja for kayak fishing trips and such (thought I’ve been seriously reconsidering doing this in light of the safety concerns that currently evident.)

My plans:
(Phase One)
Roof rack and lights
RE 4.5” SF full leaf pack with OME shocks
PC 15” steelies and 31” tread TBD
SYE- have the 242 so it's hNt
new drive shaft for rear- anybody got one for sale?- seriously!
Undercarriage protection- also looking to purchase some items

(Phase Two)
C4x4 front and rear bumpers
Winch
Gears and LS diffs
ZJ rear disc brake conversion
Steering upgrades
Blah blah blah…

By the way- I’ll be having a pizza and beer party soon… admission is a set of tools.

Thanks to you all for participating in this site and sharing the knowledge.

Andy

Welcome Andy,
After spending anytime on this board I'm sure you couldn't help to notice the wide variety of builds. Daily drivers to full on Buggys, and everything in between.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Russ

welcome! 4.5" RE kits are a great start and you sound like you've done your research.

Before regearing, you might considering getting a HP D30 to replace your LP. I'd recommend getting atleast 32" tires because after the 4.5" lift, those 31s will look small and arent too bad at all with stock gearing. :) 33s will get you just about anywhere but that should be after regearing.

Welcome to the addiction. Sounds like you have good plans for your rig. Let me get a shameless plug in here, I can do your gears when you are ready. I would recommend 4.56's and 33's. Hang on and enjoy the ride!
P.S. I also recommend an Aussie for the front and the same for the rear if they are available by the time you want to do them. I have a lockright in the rear of mine and it's awesome!

thanks for the warm welcome guys!

i was actually thinking of a 3.5" lift until a few days ago... but then i just thought i would end up costing me more in the long run to upgrade to more lift...

i think 31's will do the trick for me... i drive to the family ranch in new mexico a couple of times a year- so i still need to keep that in sight. i've seen pics of ericsxj with the 4.5 & 31's and actually don't find it to look all that awkward... yes the proportions are not ideal- but the looks will take a back seat to the functions. besides- not sure i want to go the trimming route just yet and want the space for the articulation.

john- i've seen your shameless plugs, may times, how could i not know you do this stuff... i have no alliances with regard to this stuff... PM me on your charges for service.

looking forward to meeting you all on the trail.

a

Thats a good call, going 4.5" over 3.5", its a *much* more complete kit and a better platform to build on. You shouldn't need to trim for 32's, they just barely squeeze in there.

Take lots of pictures now. Looking back on them you won't realize its the same car.

*sigh*. I miss the 4.5" and 32's days. So clean. So easy to get in and out of. Hard to believe this is the rig I drive today.

dsc00286.jpg

zeelaagee said:

My plans:
(Phase One)

Perfect upgrade path. I'd suggest JKS sway bar disconnects instead of the ones that come in the RE kit. Go with the JKS crossmember/TC case skid and JKS Supernerf rock rails. Check with some of the sponsor vendors. They can put together a hybrid kit for you selecting the best fromeach manufacturer.

(Phase Two)
C4x4 front and rear bumpers
Winch
Gears and LS diffs
ZJ rear disc brake conversion
Steering upgrades

A winch is the perfect accessory for someone who plans to travel alone. I would suggest a detroit locker in the rear. Pretty much the same money but better function. Don't think that you'll see any benefit to the disk brakes of steering upgrades for your type of wheeling.

Don't let anybody talk you into bigger tires. 31"s are perfect for your plans.

Andy

zeelaagee said:
[to Baja for kayak fishing trips

Just a note or three. 4.5 right off is the way to go, as others have mentioned. For kayak fishing, as I do as well, I'd recommend three simple things.

1) a rear bumper that leaves you just enough room to put a foot on. Place grip tape on that spot, you'll thank me later.

2) have rock rails/frame stiffeners (I wouldn't live without them... seriously, I'd be in a world of hurt... they saved my azz once) built so that they kick out enough to stand on. Mine are 1" wider than the "off of the shelf" units. Again, grip tape is your friend. This makes securing your yak and unsecuring it much easier.

3) a front bumper with some sort of attachment point such as an eye for a D ring. This makes securing the front of the yak a breeze and gives you a touch extra comfort while watching that nose beebop around while hanging over your hood.

4) with the current situation in Baja Norte, I'd stay the hell out of there for a while, until the rule of law comes back into play. That is, unless you are a fan of rape and armed robbery, which is becoming much more common instead of the usual polica shakedown.

cal said:

Too bad that jeep in the background is gone. Wasn't that the trip where Josh got his first damage? Or, was that the trip prior to Josh getting his damage? Who was the idiot who put Josh in that notch in the first place? ;)

I digress.

Hey, why is my strap hooked to your rear bumper???

gcurtis said:
Too bad that jeep in the background is gone. Wasn't that the trip where Josh got his first damage? Or, was that the trip prior to Josh getting his damage? Who was the idiot who put Josh in that notch in the first place? ;)

I digress.

I don't think i'd even met josh yet at that point. That trip was you and me, rob and james, and my dad.

gcurtis said:
That was the code scanner/ booze-ocache trip! I remember now.

I thought about that cache when I was out there a few months ago. Still have the cords?

cal said:
I thought about that cache when I was out there a few months ago. Still have the cords?

No, but we need to find it. I remember where it is, roughly, in Palm Wash.

We ought to pull an overnight and go hunt it down in January. I'll have to shotgun a jeep, but I'll bring the truck and camper.

Everytime we go to find it, we end up just wheeling instead. How does that happen?

You've always got a seat in my rig, as long as I know before someone else claims it (I'm down to 2 seats now).

Hell, if you bring a camper too I'll do the steaks.

gcurtis said:
1) a rear bumper that leaves you just enough room to put a foot on. Place grip tape on that spot, you'll thank me later.

I had that in mind- thanks for reiterating that one.

gcurtis said:
2) have rock rails/frame stiffeners (I wouldn't live without them... seriously, I'd be in a world of hurt... they saved my azz once) built so that they kick out enough to stand on. Mine are 1" wider than the "off of the shelf" units. Again, grip tape is your friend. This makes securing your yak and unsecuring it much easier.
Part of the blah, blah, blah... phase of the plan. I still have to sell off a bunch of crap I never use anymore to get there.

gcurtis said:
3) a front bumper with some sort of attachment point such as an eye for a D ring. This makes securing the front of the yak a breeze and gives you a touch extra comfort while watching that nose beebop around while hanging over your hood.
My preference is the C4x4 front with the light bar secondarily for that reason...

gcurtis said:
4) with the current situation in Baja Norte, I'd stay the hell out of there for a while, until the rule of law comes back into play. That is, unless you are a fan of rape and armed robbery, which is becoming much more common instead of the usual polica shakedown.
nah- i tried that stuff when i was younger... didn't like it so much... kinda made me feel yucky.

thanks for the reminders and input!

A

Back