• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truck mirrors.. ?

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '89 XJ and I can't stand the tiny ass mirrors. I'm used to big truck mirrors (94 dakota and my dad's new GMC 1500 come to mind) where they're actually helpful. I've noticed one cherokee that used some truck mirrors and it looked very good:

intensebluelf9.jpg

(it's also my all time favorite XJ)

Has anyone else done this? That looks very well done and very practical.

I would have those ripped of in no time , as well as destroying the door panels. damn quad trails!

For a DD they would be so handy. I can't complain enough about the crappy early XJ mirrors. Especially combined with the window swivel.

bcmaxx said:
I would have those ripped of in no time , as well as destroying the door panels. damn quad trails!
quad trails are the reason I only have one mirror right now and on a dd its kind of annoying. Ive never thought of using swivel truck mirrors but im definetly going to look into this now.

mattbred said:
It looks like he mounted them to the vent upright/window guide. That would make it more sturdy than just mounting to the outside sheet metal, but I would think it would interfere with the window. Maybe he pulled the vents out and mounted to the sheet metal behind it. Huh.

I have thought on the mid90's F1560 ickiup style mirror that mounts to the steel of rge door near the window edge on the "angled" part of the window edge, steel part of the door. Just another thought. anyone try rhat style?

bossman91xj said:
I have thought on the mid90's F1560 ickiup style mirror that mounts to the steel of rge door near the window edge on the "angled" part of the window edge, steel part of the door. Just another thought. anyone try rhat style?
Which Ford truck was the F1560? ? ? ? What part of the steel dore is the "rge" part? ? ? I am at a loss on these two points. BTW my computer has a spell check that helps me correct mis-spelled words so that other forum readers can figure out what the heck I'm saying here. Would you like the websites foer such a program? ? ?

mattbred said:
That's awesome, exactly what I'm talking about. How hard was it?

Easy, go to the junk yard.

Find a Ranger with these mirrors.

Unbolt and save all the hardware.

Remove your door panel.

Drill 4 holes.

Bolt them on.

Replace door panel.

I did make my own cover plates for the stock mirror location. I took the inside manual mirror cover plates, JB Welded a 10 MM nut to it, then cut down a bolt to secure them to the outside. Covered the hole nicely and you could not tell them were home fabbed.

I did own a 86 MJ that was a Starline RV conversion that came factory with these mirrors as well. That is what gave me the idea.

Incase you have never seen the Starline conversion, Here are some pics. From what I got from Starline they only converted about 6 of these trucks. The way you see it is the way it was sold new in 86.

319220_11_full.jpg

319220_12_full.jpg

319220_13_full.jpg

Sadly I sold this truck and it is now a buggy crawler in Indiana.

Last edited:
mikeforte:

I am really sorry that your Daddy and Mommy didn't treat you well. Your self esteem shows that. I may make a typo once in awhile, but I treat everyone on this forum respectfully.

YES I did mean the F150, 1992 to about 96 when they changed the body style

Maybe you should check out this site:
www.nami.org

I am sure there are some programs you might find useful to help you with your issues.

Back