• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high clearance tough x-member?

Mike H.

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone manufacture one?
Searched and found lots of "I built this" threads, but, I do not have metal fab. equipment/knowledge.
Basically, I'd like to find a beefy, low profile x-mamber, and t-case skid setup.

rusty's

1996cc said:
DPG, Rubicon Express, Warn are some others.
You actually lose some ground clearance with the DPG unit, at least the old one. It's not much though - maybe a half inch. Supposedly they are redesigning it but I haven't seen anything on their site about it lately (but then again I haven't really looked). Having said that, I have beaten the snot out of my DPG unit and it hasn't flinched. But then again I'm willing to bet if I had the clearance of the T&T unit I would've avoided some of that contact easily.

WTF???

He said "high clearance" folks.

The TnT unit has always looked pretty good. I don't think any of the others are higher than the stock crossmember.

Goatman said:
WTF???

He said "high clearance" folks.

The TnT unit has always looked pretty good. I don't think any of the others are higher than the stock crossmember.

I think they just need to fix it so it'll stop bending under hard use, unless they have already. Shouldn't be difficult at all. Hint: The middle.

Rusty's makes an HD Xmember. building your own is best though. DPG is good too, but it drops below the stock Xmember.

A little bending of stuff never killed anyone. However, if you're hitting stuff really hard all the time, maybe you need a little more lift. One one of my XJs I've got a TnT longarm and even though I play in rocks a lot I barely ever hit the skid hard, because it's lifted 6" and has 36" tires. My XJ on 32s has a pretty bent up skid.

Phil said:
I think they just need to fix it so it'll stop bending under hard use, unless they have already. Shouldn't be difficult at all. Hint: The middle.

x2...couple of the local guys here have bent them as well. What about the full traction skid. Looks similar to the TNT one, so I'm curious about its strength and clearance but cant find much about it. I emailed them to see if they have any pictures of it installed from the side to look at clearance, but am waiting for a reply. Here is a pic...

skid.jpg

mjma said:
However, if you're hitting stuff really hard all the time, maybe you need a little more lift.

Well, that has a lot to do with perspective. In the rocks we play in regularly, if you're not bashing everything under your rig regularly you're not trying anything. A crossmember needs to be beefy, because you will hit it regularly. If you just go higher you'll loose stability and climbing ability.

I have two different tx case skids, a Skid Row on my 89 and an Off Road General Store on my 2000. The ORGS cross member skid is now manufactured by JKS.

The Skid Row hangs too low for my taste, below the frame rail and uses the stock cross member. The ORGS/JKS is really stout, I don't believe it sits lower than a stock cross member and has an integrated transfer case skid. I have smacked it a few times and only needed to touch it up with rattle can.

There were two problems I encountered when installing the ORGS/JKS. 1st, the transmission mount holes were drilled for an earlier model XJ, not a 97+. The Crossmember would fit, but cocked the driveline and the tx case linkage would not actuate correctly. Installing a trans mount from an earlier production model XJ solved this problem. The second problem is that one side had oblong holes on the passenger side for the stud/bolt to the frame rail. It was difficult to line up, so I oblongated the drivers side a tad also.

At $300 it's a bit steep, but is a good product.

Here's the link: http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m...BER&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Protection

Good Luck,
Tom

Thanks guys.
I like the look of the TnT unit, especially the one Northwestxj posted a picture of.
I run 2.5" lift and have no plans of going higher. The TnT one, with more clearance, and integrated high clearance t-case skid looks like the hot ticket. I had not seen a picture of it from that angle, and did not realize it replaced the stock x-member.

Most others I have seen simply cover over the stock unit, and, that did not tickle my fancy.

the JKS... I don't like that the t-case skid sticks out on it's own, acting as a big lever on the 4 mounting bolts. The TnT one looks to anchor to the unibody and help eliminate the lever/moment deal.

Last edited:
Mike H. said:
Thanks guys.
I like the look of the TnT unit, especially the one Northwestxj posted a picture of.
I run 2.5" lift and have no plans of going higher. The TnT one, with more clearance, and integrated high clearance t-case skid looks like the hot ticket. I had not seen a picture of it from that angle, and did not realize it replaced the stock x-member.

the one pictured with the skid is Full-Traction XJ Center Skid Plate

this is tnt's crossmember
hdxmember.gif

this is tnt's bellypan
xjbellypansample.jpg

thanks for clearing that up.
i definately like the look of the tnt belly... and, i've heard less than positive things regarding full-traction...

Mike H. said:
the JKS... I don't like that the t-case skid sticks out on it's own, acting as a big lever on the 4 mounting bolts. The TnT one looks to anchor to the unibody and help eliminate the lever/moment deal.

Never thought of it like that...good catch.
Tom

Anybody heard too much about the FULL-TRACTION skid? I have heard about the TNT bending, but haven't heard really anything about the full-traction, rather positive or negative...

northwestxj said:
Anybody heard too much about the FULL-TRACTION skid? I have heard about the TNT bending, but haven't heard really anything about the full-traction, rather positive or negative...
bend the T&T Belly Pan? HOLY CRAP DID THEY DROP THEIR TRUCK PURELY ON THE SKID ALONE?

The Full Traction is 3/16" plate steel with the 4 stock mounting points and the 2 unibody

the T&T which is slightly thicker @ 1/4 and is rienforced better. with the 6 mounting point they also have the 2 thru uni-body crush sleeve mounts and more internal bracing optional ....

i don't know really could go either way

Last edited:
Back