• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE1310 4.5 coils net lift with winch ?

3XJFamily

NAXJA Forum User
Wondering what people are netting with these coils when they are running a heavy bumper and winch?

I'm running an old C4x4 bumper and a Warn 9000i spooled with wire so it's a pretty heavy pig. So I was considering the RE1345 (5.5 XJ / 4.0 ZJ). . .

I want to net out 4.5 (go figure) after it settles in. I'm also considering trimming the bumper, and switching to rope.

From my experience with RE that should be plenty to give you what you want, maybe even 4.5" with a small spacer. RE are designed with winches and bumpers in mind

i think you'd be better off with the 4.5" and a spacer. imo, the 5.5 will be too tall... just a thought though.

I have the 4.5ZJ/5.5XJ coils, and about 1.25" worth of spacer (isolator+acos).

I run a loose nuts bumper, t-max 9000 winch and synthetic cable. I net about 5.75" lift up front with a good ride.

cal said:
I have the 4.5ZJ/5.5XJ coils, and about 1.25" worth of spacer (isolator+acos).

I run a loose nuts bumper, t-max 9000 winch and synthetic cable. I net about 5.75" lift up front with a good ride.

So that's netting out at 4.5 of lift from the 5.5" RE coils alone. That's kind of what I'm wondering, after wheelin' the 4.5" coils for a few months with a winch & bumper, is it going to sag down to 3.5"?

3XJFamily said:
So that's netting out at 4.5 of lift from the 5.5" RE coils alone. That's kind of what I'm wondering, after wheelin' the 4.5" coils for a few months with a winch & bumper, is it going to sag down to 3.5"?

Mine didnt sag with use at all, the sag is entirely from the weight. If I remove the front and rear bumpers it raises my jeep almost 2.5".

cal said:
Mine didnt sag with use at all, the sag is entirely from the weight. If I remove the front and rear bumpers it raises my jeep almost 2.5".
Cal,

"Sag" was probably the wrong word. . . I've never had a problem with RE stuff sagging.

I'm really asking about "net lift" considering bumpers and winch. The RE1345 says 5.5" on a XJ or 4.5" on a ZJ. Throw on heavy bumpers, a winch, tire carrier, recovery gear and it weighs in more like a ZJ. .

Yeah I think we're on the same page.

I've got two jeeps side by side (mine and hildy's) in a photo at home somewhere. We run the same coil (ZJ 4.5), I have just over an inch of spacers above it, he does not.

We sit the exact same height. He's got a stock front bumper, I have a heavy steel one with winch.

Its about 5.75" of lift?

Here you go. Same coils, same contorl arms, same size tires.

The one on the left has an acos with no adjuster (just over .75") and a small rubber isolator (.25") on top of the stock isolator. It has a loose nuts bumper and t-max winch, figure 200 pounds?

The one on the right has the same coils, no spacers, stock bumpers.

img113.jpg

I have the RE 4.5 coils with ARB bumper and Warn M8000 winch. I have a 1.75" spacer fitted, but with the stock coil spring isolator removed, so that would net a spacer of about 1". I'm sitting on a lift in front of 5.3". That means, that the springs on their own with a heavy bumper and winch would net just a little below 4.5". OME makes 10mm coils spring packers - if you want close to 4.5" of lift with the added weight, adding a pair of these packers would be perfect.

This is how it sits with 33" tyres:
29102007205.jpg

The problem with all common lift springs is that they were designed to lift a stock vehicle and still give a good street ride. There are none made to increase off road performance. You add weight and your soft squishy ride becomes softer so you buy better shocks. You complain that your rear end articulation is not good and thats because your front springs are not stiff enough to force the rear springs to flex. I can't remember the spring rates exactly but stock is about 150#, lift springs generally give you 160-180# with the exception of a skyjacker spring that Goatman runs that I think is about 220 or 230lbs. Or you can use what the pro's use and thats about 280# spring from Deaver spring. It's the lightest spring the Jeepspeed racers use and they have no winch bumper. It's the best 200 bucks I've spent on my jeep because I can flex the front while forcing the rear to do it's job and I can fly down fast trails while only hitting the bumpstops when I get stupid. I can run a low lift and big tires. Call Deaver in Santa Anna, CA. and ask to talk to the guy who sells springs to the Jeepspeed racers and get the real deal. I used the 5.5 inch spring and cut off two full wraps and have 1/2" spacer on top for my lift . I freaking love it and if the springs become unavailable I wound't sell mine for 5 grand. They are that much an improvement over soft squishy crap that won't let your jeep run like you want it too. The other benifit is that it makes it just firm enough that you will loose the weight from the swaybar you will now ditch. Part # I used was CSC9B and cost $196.24. I write a lot of advise on this site but if you only take one piece then take this one. Get rid of that soft crap and run race coils.

Stumpalump said:
The problem with all common lift springs is that they were designed to lift a stock vehicle and still give a good street ride. There are none made to increase off road performance. You add weight and your soft squishy ride becomes softer so you buy better shocks. You complain that your rear end articulation is not good and thats because your front springs are not stiff enough to force the rear springs to flex. I can't remember the spring rates exactly but stock is about 150#, lift springs generally give you 160-180# with the exception of a skyjacker spring that Goatman runs that I think is about 220 or 230lbs. Or you can use what the pro's use and thats about 280# spring from Deaver spring. It's the lightest spring the Jeepspeed racers use and they have no winch bumper. It's the best 200 bucks I've spent on my jeep because I can flex the front while forcing the rear to do it's job and I can fly down fast trails while only hitting the bumpstops when I get stupid. I can run a low lift and big tires. Call Deaver in Santa Anna, CA. and ask to talk to the guy who sells springs to the Jeepspeed racers and get the real deal. I used the 5.5 inch spring and cut off two full wraps and have 1/2" spacer on top for my lift . I freaking love it and if the springs become unavailable I wound't sell mine for 5 grand. They are that much an improvement over soft squishy crap that won't let your jeep run like you want it too. The other benifit is that it makes it just firm enough that you will loose the weight from the swaybar you will now ditch. Part # I used was CSC9B and cost $196.24. I write a lot of advise on this site but if you only take one piece then take this one. Get rid of that soft crap and run race coils.

Are you running the deaver leaves as well?

bandit455 said:
Are you running the deaver leaves as well?
No, I run a 2.5" OME spring with 2 of their full length leaves added to the pack. I use a JKS shackle to free up movment of the spring and add some lift. Also the extra large tube and Ruff Stuff pearches on my 8.8 add some lift. I think Deaver leaf springs are 500 bucks but I won't be suprised if I wind up with a set someday. They make a 4" race spring that would be tits for if I go to 37's but I think they offer a cheaper 5 or so inch spring us regular guys. Also read my favorite NAXJA thread of all times a few times to pick up clues to great performing OFF ROAD suspension and pick up clues on shock valving and overall feel for what works and why and if you get board search all Goatman's posts. Once you put together a real setup you will float like a buterfly and laugh at what is mass marketed as a kit. You will like the road ride and feel better also because your lift and tall tires will now be stabalized by proper suspension.
Must read thread if you want suspension that works like you want:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25592

Back