• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to get leaf spring bolts out!!!

scottmori

NAXJA Forum User
i bought deaver springs with currie boomarang shackles but can't get bolts out? i believe there is a nut welded inside the unibody rail? any tricks to this

thanks scott

There is a nut welded inside of the frame rail. It probably broke loose and is just spinning. You're gonna have to cut a hole in the rail to get at that nut.

This just happened to TheWarWagon. Send him a PM to see what he ended up doing.

I cut a hole in the spring hanger not the frame when I had that problem with the Chief.

Just cut a hole large enough to get the wrench in (3/4") to grab ahold of the nut.

Here is what I'm talking about:
Spring+Hanger.jpg

I got it out to the end of the threads where the bolt starts to taper. Than I cut each side with the sawzall and it worked pretty good but if you can't get them to break loose don't do it this way. I soaked the bolts the best I could with PB blaster for about 2 weeks before trying to do the lift. Good luck...

Hey i just installed a lift on my xj last weekend and had the same problem. If it is one of the bolts that are closest to the front, which is where i had the problems, i ended up pulling the carpet up under the rear seat and drilling a hole into the top of the frame rail. The nut that is SUPPOSED to be welded is big i bielieve it was a one inch. So good luck

On mine the bolt was rusted into the metal sleeve in the spring eye. The bolt would turn, but just bend the spring mount apart. I had to take the blue wrench and make two burns. 1 to cut the spring off, and 2 to split the eye in half. Then I could cut the rubber off and grab the metal sleeve with a pair of vice grips and get the bolt out. It was a lot of fun!
:flame:

For whomever reads this from now on, I may have the answer to stuck leaf spring bolts and bushings problem. I used PB Blaster every few days for three weeks, even to the point of taking the rear bumper off so I could shoot the top shackle nuts. The front main leaf eye bolts have a small hole in the body that you can at least spray them. Three weeks, still would not budge.

Then I tried Loctite Freeze & Release, which "ultrafreezes" the nut and bolt causing "microfractures that draw in the penetrant", according to their website. Not only did this break the nuts free, it also loosened the bushing sleeves around the bolts, so no bolt cutting for me!

I do not know if it was the PB or the Freeze & Release or the combination, but they are all off now!:guitar: It was about $17 a can and each bolt gets a 5 - 10 second blast, so it will not last long, but that was a whole lot cheaper than my time to cut a hole in the floor or frame rail and weld in nuts.

Back