• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring for ignition switch?

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
ok, my jeep is in sorry shape at the moment, :bawl: I figured I'd spend a few hours putting in a new ignition switch today, but it looks like it exploded and fused together. I need to know if they make a wiring kit, for the connections that go into the ignition switch.

would those female ends with the plastic coverings work?

-Trent

I'd peel the wrapping off of the harness and check the wires for heat (insulation melting). The wires get stiff when they have overheated, if they are flexible they are likely OK. Cut back far enough to remove the heat damaged section of the harness.
Go to the junk yard and cut the plug and some of the harness out of an old XJ.
Tip, cut the wires different lengths, it actually makes things easier if they aren't all the same length. So the splices don't all line up in one spot. Buy some shrink tubing and solder the wires together, which is pretty much a lifetime fix, with no worries about loose crimp connections or iffy contact.
I've never found it a big deal to remove the braces and unbolt the steering column from the bottom of the dash. The only problem I've ever had is getting the single row connector apart, they have a tendency to break, when I disconnect to get a little extra wire/harness for slack. Dropping the column down that four or so inches sure makes things easier for me.
I usually remove the bottom dash section also, I'm a bIg person and need all the space I can get. I'd rather spend an extra half an hour in preparation than fighting the space problem for hours. If I remember correctly some of the bottom dash bolts are different lengths, if you get them mixed up and in the wrong holes the plastic anchor can split. I remove them left to right and use a piece of tape to keep them in order or push them into an old piece of Styrofoam (in order). Don't over tighten. The (behind) ashtray screws are the only real hiders that I can remember.

or just wire up a toggle switch running off the starter solenoid and the battery into the cab. That way u bypass all the wiring they may be messed up. Thats what i did instead of figuring it out.

Back