• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

never ending B.S

impetus-93xj

NAXJA Forum User
well I did an oil change today and by the time I got from my shop back to the house I could hear what sounds lick a liffter knocking. now what?

I checked the oil lvel and for leeks and every thing is ok. how would i know for sure if it was a lifter and what whould be involved in fixin it? could use all the help i can get thanks

x2 on no to fram..ever seen a brand new fram filter cut open? its a mess in there. oh and lifters dont knock they tick. it sounds exactly like when you say the words. ticktickticktickticktick.

if you've got a knock you have a different problem.

thanks for the info on the fram filter and yess it was a fram/i dont do synthetic oil since im runing a 93 never rebuild with 240.000 km and your right it is a tickticktick sound now what?

LUCAS oil stabilizer will fix it.

Lucas may or may not....

You may need to do some type of engine flush - using ATF or some other method...

and change your filter!!! :)

Dump the Fram. Do another oil change using half oil and half kerosine. Run it about ten to fifteen minutes then dump that out and replace everything with your flavor of dino oil and a quality filter(Wix, Mobil 1, Purolator) and your tick should be gone. If not then I think you have a collapsed lifter and then we are talking replacing all your lifters at the same time. Search for that on here and if you can't find it post back up and someone on here will talk you through it.

I would not do the 50/50 oil/kero on an engine that old. Go pickup a couple of new filters, pull that fram off, put on clean filter, add a quart of ATF, don't drive it, just let it run for 20 min or so then do an oil change and new filter. What grade/brand of oil did you use on this last change ?
As for fram filters, I have not used fram in over 10 years since I had a couple blow off on me. I only use Mobil-1 or K&N or Mopar, had some issues with purolators not holding pressure, probably a drainback problem that would take like 15 or 20 seconds to rebuild up pressure on cold morning starts.
As for the kero mix I would not use more than a quart of kero, old timers used that on junkyard motors to really clean them out. I've seen more than my share of this done on chrysler slant 6's back in the late 60's when I worked at my neighbors gas station and as a way to clean out engines that ran quaker state and penzoil to get rid of the wax build up in the valve train area.

Last edited:
RaccoonJoe said:
RichP -- how long do you run the kero?? Leave it in there for 1k miles?? Or just run it for a few minutes??

Every time I saw it done it was done for about 20 minutes, they would pull the dipstick and look at it while it was running.

RichP said:
Every time I saw it done it was done for about 20 minutes, they would pull the dipstick and look at it while it was running.
I cant beleive that I have never thoguth to pull my dipstickk to see if it is coming clean. Dam I feel dumb
Fire fox sucks! I preview my post and everything is spelt wrong, go to fix it and everything is spelt correct. post it wrong edit it correct. save wrong. POS

1985xjlaredo said:
I cant beleive that I have never thoguth to pull my dipstickk to see if it is coming clean. Dam I feel dumb
Fire fox sucks! I preview my post and everything is spelt wrong, go to fix it and everything is spelt correct. post it wrong edit it correct. save wrong. POS

They were not looking to see 'clean' they were looking to see 'dirty' as in shut it off now.
Ever watch one of the oil flush machines, it's amazing the crud you see moving thru those hoses to the toilet paper thick filter.

If a good flush does not clear up the tick then you should replace your lifters. I have the same tick on my 98 and I tried everything including what has been mentiond here and now I will be replacing my lifters as soon as I can afford it.

Back