• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remote starter Question?

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I want to install a remote starter in my 90' daily driver. What is the best brand for the money that will be compatible with the RENIX XJ with the GM style ignition.

I would like a "Y" harness as well so I do not have to hack my wireing.

Any advice?

Thanks

if it's an auto trans u can use just about any (cheap) starter

if its a manual you will need a more expensive one

i'm not aware of any remote starter that can be installed without splicing wires

make sure all connections are soldered and heat shrinked with weatherproff (glue inside) heat shrink tubing

do not use any butt connectors or splice in connectors...they will leave you stranded.

i am not an expert but recently installed one on the wife's 98 nissan pathfinder, manual

it was a compustar which seemed to be one of the leading brands.

xjtrailrider said:
I want to install a remote starter in my 90' daily driver. What is the best brand for the money that will be compatible with the RENIX XJ with the GM style ignition.

I would like a "Y" harness as well so I do not have to hack my wireing.

Any advice?

Thanks

Directed Electronics (DEI) all the way. I have always been very impressed with their systems.

I had a python 871xp 2 way system put in my 90 last year.
http://www.pythoncarsecurity.com/products/product.aspx?ProductID=604

Its an excellent system. I had them also put in door actuators (since i didnt have power door locks from factory) so that when i arm the system it also locks the doors, and when i disarm it unlocks.
I would never go back to a standard 1 way system again either. Sometimes you dont always know (if you cant see your vehicle at the time) if you have started it or not (or unlocked etc). The 2 way systems give you feedback when you have done something, so you know each and every time.
I would also strongly recommend getting the system installed by an authorized installer. First, because you will void your warranty if you install it yourself, secondly these systems are very advanced making them difficult to install correctly.
Most reputable car audio shops will install these systems either for free, or a very resonable price. If i remember correctly my system fully configured was approx 4-450 dollars. Keep in mind also that the system was a higher end one at that time. This price did not include the door actuators (which were something like 70 a peice).

I hope that helps you.

Last edited:
i gotta disagree with you about the connectors i used 3m connectors and had no issues. all my connections were inside the vehicle and i had no probs, also ive used butt connectors with a quality crimping tool for 28 years in the hvac field with also no issues unless you dont get a good crimp. i do agree with you however on any connections made outside the interior crimps are ok there but shrinktube is a must. although being an hvac er ive used wirenuts when i was lazy

kennzz05 said:
i gotta disagree with you about the connectors i used 3m connectors and had no issues. all my connections were inside the vehicle and i had no probs, also ive used butt connectors with a quality crimping tool for 28 years in the hvac field with also no issues unless you dont get a good crimp. i do agree with you however on any connections made outside the interior crimps are ok there but shrinktube is a must. although being an hvac er ive used wirenuts when i was lazy

sure, but the inside of my jeep is often wetter and muddier than the outside!

also if this was a stereo or lighting than i'd agree but a bad connection on a remote starter can cause a difficult to diagnose no start...which sucks.

you are right though there is nothing "wrong" with those conncetors...it's just that there are options that are better. IMHO

i got a bulldog and had in under my hood for about 2 years. never did hook it up cause the wiring was just a pain. like 50+ wires to splice..

I install these everyday at work, and agree DEI is the way to go. We sell Viper, and they have been the best system we have carried (as far as being trouble free).

It is a good idea to have them installed by an authorized dealer. In fact, we don't even sell them without installation due to the warranty. If installed by an authorized dealer, these units have a lifetime warranty on the "brain".

You should not use 3m connectors on the heavy gauge wires. You may not have immediate problems, but I've seen melted connectors from this. They are fine to use for tapping into the other, lower current wires, just not the ignition harness. I always solder, heat shrink, and tape these.

From Viper install guide:

"All except the red heavy gauge wires leading from the relay satellite are used to energize high current circuits in the vehicle. It is crucial that these connections are made correctly so that they are capable of handling the current demands. For this reason, scotch locks, T-taps and other such connectors should not be used."

On a side note, another thing I've found the remote starter useful for is starting the Jeep to pump up the OBA when your under it working on something...lol​

Last edited:
Another little tip...do not use the onboard parking light relay in the brain to power the parking lights. Use that output as a neg trigger for a separate relay. I've personally seen several DEI brains where the main power wire going into the brain becomes melted/charred on the main connector.

While DEI makes good systems, there are better ones that operate on the FM band and digital spread spectrum.

I've got a couple of viper alarms and remote start setups.

A+ all the way.

Im an authorized dealer for DEI (Viper, Python, Clifford, etc..) We have done bussiness with them for 13 years. They have a large percentage of the market. CompuStar sucks ass. Astrostart is ok. We have switched from DEI products to AutoStart. AutoStart is the way to go. They def have the edge as far as technology. Using i-data programable bypasses with the AutoStarts saves allot of time and excess wiring. There tachless setup is amazing.

AutoStart all the way for me.

As far as install goes DONT ever cut your factory wiring. Piggyback off of it and solder all conections. make sure you tape well also.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
I install these everyday at work, and agree DEI is the way to go. We sell Viper, and they have been the best system we have carried (as far as being trouble free).

It is a good idea to have them installed by an authorized dealer. In fact, we don't even sell them without installation due to the warranty. If installed by an authorized dealer, these units have a lifetime warranty on the "brain".

You should not use 3m connectors on the heavy gauge wires. You may not have immediate problems, but I've seen melted connectors from this. They are fine to use for tapping into the other, lower current wires, just not the ignition harness. I always solder, heat shrink, and tape these.

From Viper install guide:

"All except the red heavy gauge wires leading from the relay satellite are used to energize high current circuits in the vehicle. It is crucial that these connections are made correctly so that they are capable of handling the current demands. For this reason, scotch locks, T-taps and other such connectors should not be used."

On a side note, another thing I've found the remote starter useful for is starting the Jeep to pump up the OBA when your under it working on something...lol​

X2 I installed for over 10 years and DEI is the way to go.

BTW Jforse isn't Autostart still part of the Directed family?

Slo-Sho said:
What do you do about the starter kill? How can you not cut this wire?

If you install the starter kill you would have to cut the wire. We have found in the cold ass weather we get here we have issues with the wired in relay for the starter kill. So we dont install them.

P1atinum said:
X2 I installed for over 10 years and DEI is the way to go.

BTW Jforse isn't Autostart still part of the Directed family?

Yes DEI just purchased AutoStart last year.

It was a sad day. :)

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the responses, I'm now a better educated shopper. I will check with some of the local shops to see what they install. I may PM some of you for more advice.

Thanks

I've installed a ton of remote starts and alarms in my previous days of doing aftermarket stereo's and accessories. DEI is a really good brand, but there is a really cheap brand that might still be on the market that an old boss used to get. He was a cheap skate, but the systems did pretty good and didn't have any troubles over the five years that I installed them.

The company is called designtech. You used to be able to get them at Kmarts and walmarts or places like them for 60 bucks. They are remote start stand alones. No keyless on them.

If you want keyless, an alarm, and remote start I suggest DEI. They have many brands under their control. Like the Clifford system that was in Time magazine. Their systems are also a reason that the newer cars have two way remotes from the factory. They caught on and the OME makers realized how much people like them.

I use the Viper system. No problems.

Back