• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need U Joints..............

sprngfldxj

NAXJA Forum User
92 Xj, and I need ujoints for the front ds and rear ds, as well as the outers on the d-30. The d-30 though is from a Yj? I purchased it from someone who did a swap and I want to make sure I have the right thing. Is there multiple outers a Yj would have? Or is there something I can look for that would distinguish them from others?
What would be the recomendation for all the ujoints as far as quality in or out of Napa?

Personally I am running Tom Woods u-joints, and Im going to swap them out for the $9.99 Auto Zone u-joints. You need to have a weak link some where. Right now my in my axle shafts in the rear and u-joints in the front. Its much ez'er to change a drive line u-joint than change a c-clip axle w/ a Detroit locker. Just my $.02

BakersfieldXJ said:
Personally I am running Tom Woods u-joints, and Im going to swap them out for the $9.99 Auto Zone u-joints. You need to have a weak link some where. Right now my in my axle shafts in the rear and u-joints in the front. Its much ez'er to change a drive line u-joint than change a c-clip axle w/ a Detroit locker. Just my $.02

When you bust that driveline u-joint, its going to bust the shaft - so you'll still have to pull it.

What *CAN* happen though is that the inner shaft will contact the outer shaft and also break your balljoints.

Its very very foolish to count on an axle ujoint as a fuse. Install the strongest joints you can afford.

interferance.jpg

carnage1.jpg

balljoint-seperation.jpg

If the axle is from a YJ, it likely has the smaller 260x u-joints, as opposed to the bigger 297/760x u-joints found on later model XJs.

To tell the difference, you can get under the Jeep and measure one of the u-joint caps. The smaller u-joints have 1 1/16" (1.06") caps. The larger u-joints have 1 3/16" (1.18") caps.

The front and rear driveshafts use the 153x u-joints.

(All of the part numbers I mentioned are Spicer numbers.)

YJ's come with 297 joints? You can even get 297 disconnect shafts to put into XJ's.

Oh, what the hell do I know?

Just measure the caps to make sure you get the right u-joints.

I went back and re-read the article my info came from, and we were both right (ish), you more than me. :)

1995 YJ's had 297/760 shafts. I remembered reading an article where someone put YJ shafts into an early XJ to get bigger joints but keep their posi-lock. I missed the part where the shafts -had- to be 1995. :)

Back