• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front drivers brakes

deesiexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i have a problem with my front drivers side bakes. i was driving along and noticed i was pulling to the left. i drove the rest of the way home, about 1 mile, and smelled brakes burning. i checked it out, and my drivers front pad was smoking like i had just been driving down a mountain. my best guess is somehow that caliper locked shut when i was driving. anybody ever have this happen, or have any suggestions? thanks guys!

I have a 1992 XJ and had a lot of brake problems related to my antilock brake system. Seems it would come on just enough to cause the front brakes to drag. If you have ABS watch out...

Anyway, my vote also is replace caliper, shoes, and rotor. If it got really hot you could worry about the hubs. Hopefully it was just a sticky caliper and your problem will be fixed.

pick up a haynes or chiltons manual, if you still cant do it after reading up on the brake section, find someone that can or take to auto mechanic.

xj front brakes are pretty simple, if you are fairly mechanically inclined you should be able to figure it out as you go, but a haynes or chiltons is always a good thing to have incase you get stuck etc.

also remember that any time you open up a brake line you have to bleed em after you're done putting it back together

You will see two bolts on the caliper. Remove those and the caliper is off. Remove the bolt that holds the line on. Replace caliper. Use NEW copper washers. One on each side of the line. Bleed system.

im suprised no one mentioned the brake hoses had the same prob on a dodge van well 2 new calipers and rotors later it WAS the rubber brake lines they act like a one way check valve when they go bad they allow fluid to flow only towards the caliper but will not allow the release of the pressure when you take your foot off the brake

Back