• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle question

vozo112

NAXJA Forum User
should i be able to swap a front axle from a 1990 xj to a 1996 without to much of a problem? could i possibly just swap the differentials because that is what blew in my 96?

Slo-Sho said:
Pretty much a direct swap. Pay attention to your hub bearings and axle shafts though, you may have to reuse them to work with your brakes and to keep the larger U joint.

What year did they stop using the vacuum disconnect on the front axle?

Front Axles

Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints)

Dana 30 low pinion - standard cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear, 5-297x u-joints - used 00-01

Remember that the brakes and rotors will almost certainly be different. Unless you swap knuckles, you'll have to use the rotors and calipers for a 90, and also remember to use 90 type hub units. Later ones have a slightly different hub offset, and use a slightly different offset on the disk portion of the rotor as well. If your donor axle does not have good brakes but the 96 does, you might consider swapping knuckles.

I'm not sure what would go with a knuckle swap, so you'd better ask for more advice on axle shafts before proceeding. I think it might be possible to use the 96 axle shafts with the 96 knuckles, and just put a cover over the hole for the disconnect.

Back