• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 skidplate options

ebyrd10000

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj and was wondering what might be my options as fare as skidplate what year wj or zj plates can i use and is that a good setup?

Uhm, which skidplates / what are you trying to protect? Gas tank skid plates from a ZJ can be made to fit. I don't think any others will be compatible.
I think the Tomken transfer case skid is well worth the money, I think TnT is the absolute best and that the DPG unit is great. All three are probably overkll 90% of the time.

some xj's came factory with skid plates. Mine has a front skid, tc skid and gas tank skid which all came factory. Not the strongest, but better than nothing. my advise is to make your own or buy aftermarket ones.

On my 99, I have a DPG gas skid protector; fits and works well. I have a TNT skid plat under the transmission and transfer, also fits and works well. These are two of the best skid protectors.

A front skid or a transfer case skid from a grand cherokee will not fit an XJ cherokee.

I believe that I've heard talk of using a ZJ gas tank skid on XJs, I think 97+....but I'm not sure which and can't verify that it does infact work. Maybe that's what you were referring to about grand skids??

mjma said:
A front skid or a transfer case skid from a grand cherokee will not fit an XJ cherokee.

I believe that I've heard talk of using a ZJ gas tank skid on XJs, I think 97+....but I'm not sure which and can't verify that it does infact work. Maybe that's what you were referring to about grand skids??

Can anyone add some clarity as to why the transfer & front skid off a ZJ won't work?

I've got a chance at a free set. After a quick look, the transfer skid doesn't look like it'd take much to adapt if anything. I've not measured anything yet, but if it's been proven not to work I won't bother. I'll just pull the tank skid and forget the rest.

Since the skids were free I just got 'em all, and if they didn't work they'd end up on the old lady's ZJ.

The front skid and transfer skid will work, BUT only with modifications. They are not a direct bolt in.

The transfer case skid will require some holes be made to mount it up. Nothing too complicated, but I may end up losing a little clearance due to it's design.

The front skid will be a bit more complicated. It appears the front sway bar mounts are slightly forward on a ZJ. This makes the skid hit the tie rod/ drag link on the XJ. A mounting bracket lowering the back of the skid should fix it though, and provide a bit more coverage of the steering linkage. There is some minor hole alignment issues that should also be resolved with the bracket.

Back