• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB Bumper questions

94jeepxj

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone please tell me what the exact differences are between the early models, 96 and older, VS the newer 97 and up versions. I am guessing that the mounts are the same but there is some difference with the wrap around the front finders? The reason I am asking is I have a chance to buy a newer model for my old jeep and just wanted to run it by your guys to make sure its going to work. I guess i should note I already have c-rok steering braces so I hope it still mounts fine. Thanks all

the newer one has longer wrap around sides, wich most people cut down to fit bigger tires, and the front bottom of the newer one doesnt hang down as much, the older one has kinda a bigger dam if that makes any sense

Good deal. so if you have a newer lifted rig ( 1997 and up ) it looks like the older style actually might suit you better, atleast you dont have to cut.

yup, I believe youll have to cut em if you have over 31" tires, I even heard of them rubbing with 31s....

Ya I cut up my brand new 33's with the ARB. Lucky it didn't go too deep into the side wall and pop one. I cut about 7 inches off the side of mine.

I had to trim about 7 inches off of mine to after loosing the 31's. Cut the sidewalls pretty good but luckily didnt go deep enough to pop them. The trimming is all i had to do to solve the problem

94jeepxj said:
Ouch. Glad it turned out good. you just trim the bumper to fix the problem?
Yep, trimming fixed it.
You can see where the bumper was, and where the fender was trimmed to.
IMG_0309.jpg

After getting wider rims, I cylced through the suspension while I was replacing the axle and had the spring out, and decided to cut to here, so that there was no chance it would happen again. I need to trim the fender more in the front though.
IMG_0576.jpg

The longer sides are the only difference, mounting is the same. I have a 97+ ARB and I have had it on my 98, and on an 89 that I had for awhile.

This is how the longer bumper ends on the later ARB bumper handles 33s:
IMG_5589.jpg

I must admit though - this is with the stock control arms. With properly adjusted control arms the wheels will move further forward in the wheel well, thus requiring trimming. Mine will be trimmed as soon as my upgraded control arms go in..

The longer sides are not the only difference.. The shape is different. The newer ones have a little better approach...
GuardTrim%20043.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

Back