• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

two electric fans? anyone done it?

mk153smaw

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I am contemplating getting rid of my motor driven fan on my '88 and going with two eletric ones. Has anyone done this? I am looking at it since I am wanting to get rid of the A/C compressor and maybe move my alternator up to where the A/C was thus removing the HP loss from pulling the A/C and the fan (also cleaning up the engine bay a little).

So y'all know, I did the search thing and found a couple of fan threads. Those were ok, but nothing had anything about completely removing the A/C and the mechanical fan pulley. Am I hitting unthreaded territory? I cant believe it is uncharted! ;)

you are getting rid of your A/C completely?

Yeah, complete system removal.

okay...i've seen the A/C removal...

and i've seen the fan clutch pully removed...

but never heard of both! you're brave, living in TX with no A/C!!! :)

Hehe, I got natural A/C. I run with no doors most of the year!! ;) But on the other stuff did you see any write ups for the pulley removals? I am trying to look at how I am going to mount my Alt either in the old A/C mount or fabing one myself. The problem is the serpintine.

Yay!!!!! for donor parts and mounts! I just figured it out (I think).
I am going to use the old A/C mount, removing the fan pulley shaft completely. I will keep the idle pulley. I will mod my Alt case (I have a delco) by cuting one of the mounts a little shorter to allow it to mount just like the A/C did on the mount. I am going to make a mounting extention for the outside bolt hole, needs a piece about 1" to 1 1/2 inch long to bolt it right. The create a rear bracket for a good solid link and cuz I like overkill on support stuff.
You know, I think if I were so inclined I could mount the A/C where the Alt had gone ( for those of you like me who hate it when the stupid Alt goes bad when fouled with mud)

Give me a few and I am going to start posting pics. I have extra stuff so I will do the job on my garage floor before I touch the vehicle, that way we all can see how it "could" be done.

P.S. any real mechanics please chime in! I am just a gear head!

P1010002-1.jpg

P1010001.jpg

vetteboy said:
The mechanical fan pulley is also the water pump. Don't wanna get rid of that one.

not on an 4.0, unless I have a special one.

With keeping the idle pulley I think alost half maybe a little bit less. I can only eyeball it right now. once I get the cuts done I will hold it with one bolt and take a measurement.

I have about 1/4 wrap on my 136amp Ram Alt... and it works fine. Keep the belt tight though.

mk153smaw said:
not on an 4.0, unless I have a special one.

The fan is right next to the water pump. cool idea moving the alt. proly more work then its worth you could buy a lifetime alt. and leave it for the time your spending i hope it works out for you. how many ponys do you think your gonna gain? good luck.

ok I hacked off the metal from the Alt needed to start the process.

DSCF0724.jpg

Not sure how much Hp I will get back, but it will be something not having to tug the fan so much any more. The biggest thing will be when I submarine the motor in water or mud, I will have less rotating drag. thus making the motor work less and have more power to get me out of such jams. When I am done with this vehicle it will be designed to ford up to 5ft of water. I am using the ultimate truck challenge course as a guide for what I want my XJ to handle. The Xj that competed just didnt give a good showing on what the XJ can do and be done with.

What is a "life time" Aternator? I eat about 5 Alts a year.

Back