• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drivetrain oil change

projectTK

NAXJA Forum User
Well i have no idea when or if the previous owner changed the fluid in anything. How many quarts of oil i need for what? and what type of oil u recommend? im do n the tranny, front tcase and rear end. Thnx 89xj 4.0

What tranny? Does it have a LSD?

Those two bits are important info before you can get a real answer.

Still need more specifics, auto or manual tranny, full time or part time TC, etc.

i like to use a full synthetic 85W-140 for the axles.. though standard 80W-90 is acceptable, the MFG recommends the synthetic for towing conditions. and as stated, if you have an LSD you need to get the required additive. the t/case runs dex-III ATF, and before you put any lube in the transmission make sure you get the right stuff... especially the 5spds.

projectTK said:
sorry my bad 5spd 4wd

Engine Oil - 6 quarts with filter change. Depending on climate 10w-30 is fine for most places, most of the time.

Tranny fluid - It depends on which 5-spd. 89's had the BA-10 in the early part of the production year, and AX-15 in the later part of it.

The BA-10 takes 75w-90 GL-4 4.9 pints
The AX-15 takes 75w-90 GL-4 6.8 pints

Make sure you do not use GL-5 oils in the AX-15, the sulfur in the GL-5 rated oils attack the bronze synchros in the AX-15

T-case Auto tranny fluid Dex-III 2.1 pints(NP231), 3.0 pints(NP242)

Front Dif GL-5 75w-90 if not towing 75w-140(synthetic) if towing 3.0 pints
(for NP231) add 5oz. of Gear lube to shift motor housing opening

Rear dif GL-5 75w-90 if not towing 75w-140(synthetic) if towing 3.0 pints
Add 4 oz of limited slip modifier if equipped with Limited slip differential.

w_howey said:
(for NP231) add 5oz. of Gear lube to shift motor housing opening

???Whats this???

JNickel101 said:
???Whats this???

What's the recommendation, what's the housing, what's 5 oz? I'm not sure what you are asking???

The recommendation is out of the Chrysler service book. The housing opening in under the shift motor. If you drain the axle completely, Chryco recommends taking the shift motor off and putting oil into the shift motor.
5 oz. is 1 ounce more than 4 oz. and 1 ounce less than 6 ounces.....:laugh3:

LOL...okay, you got me...

I mean, whats the shift motor??? is that for an early model D30 - the vacuum "disconnect" type? I'm just making sure I'm not missing something....

JNickel101 said:
LOL...okay, you got me...

I mean, whats the shift motor??? is that for an early model D30 - the vacuum "disconnect" type? I'm just making sure I'm not missing something....

The shift motor and vacuum disconnect is the same thing. 84-92's with the part time cases.(Command-Trac was the marketing name)

Okay, just making sure I wasnt missing something :) Thanks!

projectTK said:
thanks w howey! n e way how do i figure out what type tranny n tcase i have? is it stamp on it somewhere? thanks again

The t-case is easy. Two ways... Look at the t-case shifter bezel. If you have an option for full-time 4wd, then you have an NP242, if you don't its a NP231. Or crawl underneath and look at the back of the tcase. There will be a round metal tag(about the size of a soda can bottom), it will be stamped in there. but usually 5-spds came with the NP231. But when dealing with Jeep, you can NEVER be completely sure until you actually see it.

The tranny is easy also. The simplest way is to google for pictures of the two 5-spds it could be.

Peugeot BA-10
or AX-15 are the two trannies. Google a picture and compare to what you have. They are pretty easy to tell apart.

BA-10/5
http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/ba10ps.jpg

AX-15
http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/ax15s.jpg

urban_offroader said:
Is Mercon ok for the NP231? Dex-III is getting harder to find.

Yes, Mercon will work.... The Chryco list show ATF+3, but after the ATF+4/AW-4 debacle and the GL-5 into AX-15 problems, I try to stick to either Jeep's original recommendation, or a synthetic......

Back