• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

was the 242 tc an option behind a manual tranny?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
I am considering swapping my 231 for a 242. I have a 92 with the 4.0 and 5 speed manual tranny. was the 242 ever put behind the manual tranny form the factory? what years 242 would be a direct swap without swapping input shafts? if i do this,I want it to be a bolt in affair,and not have to take the tc apart. thanks!!

No it was not, you will need a different rear driveshaft though and you might want to find a new bezel for the console. Not sure about the dash lights on your year, I know that the light is in place for both the part time and full time light on the 97 and 98, those need a 3 or 4 plug wire put into the harness to get them to work.

thanks. I am just in the early stages of planning here. just tired of street driving on slick then dry roads and have to keep shifting for 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive.

RichP said:
No it was not, you will need a different rear driveshaft though and you might want to find a new bezel for the console. Not sure about the dash lights on your year, I know that the light is in place for both the part time and full time light on the 97 and 98, those need a 3 or 4 plug wire put into the harness to get them to work.

To those people that would like to hook up the green light I have a question.
Why? What purpose does it serve? (besides being annoying?)
My 01 WJ with a 242 has no light. According to the owners manual it is not needed because the Full Time position is a normal operating position and requires no warning.
I originally planned to hook up the lights in my conversions, later I decided against it.

You don't have to hook it up, our ZJ has a graphic on the dash that shows either full or part ot two wheel drive as well as any open doors. Some just like to make everything work... :D :D :D a touch of OCD maybe..

falcon556 said:
Why? What purpose does it serve? (besides being annoying?)
My 01 WJ with a 242 has no light. According to the owners manual it is not needed because the Full Time position is a normal operating position and requires no warning.
I originally planned to hook up the lights in my conversions, later I decided against it.

My wife can't tell what mode she is operating in. When we had the XJ with the full-time, if she didn't see that light saying full-time she would think something was wrong. When we got the XJ without the full-time, she used to call constantly and ask about wether to run in 4wd or 2wd.... Now we have the ZJ with the little indicator down on the VIC. No more phone calls asking about road conditions I can't see.......

My friend had a 87 and you couldnt tell if you were in full or part. When you pulled the handle in full it sometimes would stay in part time.

88xjchief said:
My friend had a 87 and you couldnt tell if you were in full or part. When you pulled the handle in full it sometimes would stay in part time.

My 88 would do that.... But that was the PO's fault. He never used 4wd, some PB Blaster, working the shifter throught the entire range, and a good spray lube fixed that problem.

falcon556 said:
Why? What purpose does it serve? (besides being annoying?)........

I would have to agree... Besides, it's not all that hard to look at your tcase shift lever to see what gearing you're engaged in......

w_howey said:
My 88 would do that.... But that was the PO's fault. He never used 4wd, some PB Blaster, working the shifter throught the entire range, and a good spray lube fixed that problem.
I have this problem sometimes as well, and use 4wd pretty sporadically. (no idea on the previous owner--probably didn't use it much), so that could be the problem. I'll have to get under there tommorow and see whats up.

This is kind of off topic but i don't really want to start a new thread.

I have a 231 tc

What is the correct procedure for shifting into 4H or 4L? shifting into 4H is no problem at slower driving speed I believe. but is it normal that I would have to put it in park or neutral to shift into 4L? The reason is that if I am going about 10-15mph and try to shift into 4L, the lever shakes/vibrates. It's scaring me. Even if i'm in park and shift to 4L it will sometimes do that. When i first got my xj it was almost impossible to shift it into 4L, one day i forced it pretty hard and it finally shifted, its a bit smoother now but it still requires much force.

Musjunk22 said:

I have a 231 tc

What is the correct procedure for shifting into 4H or 4L? shifting into 4H is no problem at slower driving speed I believe. but is it normal that I would have to put it in park or neutral to shift into 4L? The reason is that if I am going about 10-15mph and try to shift into 4L, the lever shakes/vibrates. It's scaring me. Even if i'm in park and shift to 4L it will sometimes do that. When i first got my xj it was almost impossible to shift it into 4L, one day i forced it pretty hard and it finally shifted, its a bit smoother now but it still requires much force.

Dont try to jam it into 4L when moving. Bad things happen. Stop, put tranny in park(or push in the clutch if you have a stick), put in 4L, and put back into drive. The fastest I recommend going while putting it into 4L is less than 3mph.

I put the shifter in neutral to shift the TC, tell my wife to do the same. Just no sense in fighting the thing.

Exactly, the full time light isn't needed. My part time light doesn't work either. But that really doesn't matter since I'm the one who drives it.

Like what is the purpose of the washer fluid light? It's 3/4 full and when it sloshes around it flashes.....oh no!

I remember seeing a thread from a very old XJ that had a light for every fluid level in the vehicle. To the right of the gauge cluster - where the big black square is.

I suppose if you don't do regular maintenance.....but......lol.

xjdashsystemsentry.jpg

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74090

Musjunk22 said:

I have a 231 tc

My 98 would chatter when going into 4lo, 4.0L/5speed, as soon as I changed the ATF fluid in the 231 from the factory stuff to Mobil-1 ATF it shifted smooth as silk. It was the biggest single instantaneous change I've ever felt just by changing a flud.
The other biggest change I ever felt was when I had my drivers seat fixed by an interior shop who re welded and gusseted the frame and put new and better foam in the seat, I consider that the best $50 I ever spent. :D :D :D

RichP said:
My 98 would chatter when going into 4lo, 4.0L/5speed, as soon as I changed the ATF fluid in the 231 from the factory stuff to Mobil-1 ATF it shifted smooth as silk. It was the biggest single instantaneous change I've ever felt just by changing a flud.

What is your preferred method for shifting to 4L?

I shift the trans into neutral and then go into 4lo. Preferibly while stopped but occasionally at a very slow speed I'll shift in and out and 4lo.

Speaking of stuffing seats - I need to get my driver's seat stuffed.

When I got the Jeep at 171,000 it sucked. Now at 196,000 it sucks more. The passenger seat is good as ever......

So where's the best place to go for some stuffage?

ok...I just puked in my mouth...

seriously though, when I was learning to drive it was in an old Dodge truck. You had to park, lock the hubs, try the 4L...if no go, you went neutral, let the wheels turn slightly and she slipped right in. All of these newer cars and trucks are keeping us from being connected and understanding our vehicles. My old man always used to say "Mud on your boots is the dumbass tax for getting yourself stuck!"

Back