• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

buzzing noise

ingrain

NAXJA Forum User
So I have the interior stipped out of my 96 because i am putting in a new radio/amp/speakers etc. and the carpet is kinda moldy. the only thing left in it is the drivers seat, and the radio is also out. since i did that i have noticed a buzzing from the rear and i am pretty sure its the fuel pump. the buzzing is really loud, bordering on driving me insane if i drive it for more than about ten minutes. i really dont know if it was there before i stipped out the interior or its just louder because there is nothing in the way now.

is this something that i should worry about much. i searched and couldnt find a definitive answer. if i replace the fuel pump should it make the buzzing go away? this is my DD and the noise is really annoying.

Thanks, Sam

mine does the same thing and yes its annoying but i just put on some 36 inch swampers to solve the problem lol . but on a serious note i have heard this for like 200,000 kms and still no trouble yet. us guys with 96s have the metal tank so i blam it on that

well thats good to know. i just dont feel like getting stranded on the side of the road somewhere if my fuel pump might be about to die. i guess i will just have to turn my new alpine speakers and sub up a little higher to solve the noise problem:guitar:

well its all i can tell ya man i mean i willl be goin to a plastic tank when my steel one rots out but i have gotten 200,000 kms out of my xj and its the original fuel pump so its actually got 423,000 kms on it lol

It is normal with the carpets pulled. I ended up putting mine back in because the put noise was so bad, and the floors got hot as hell.

Not sure, but to find out go down a straight stretch, put the jeep in neutral, and shut it off. If the noise goes away, it's the pump. If not, driveline or something else.

NOTE: No engine running, no power steering. Try something like this at your own risk!

I just had my fuel pump replaced a week ago and it still sounds like there is a colony of wasps in my tank. I also have the ballast resistor by-passed as well. Don't really know if it cuts down on the noise as it was by-passed when I bought my heap.

'91 I6 AW4 LTD.

Back