• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering upgrade?

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ with a D30 low pinion. I smashed the ball joint on the long tie rod end and I would rather up grade instead of spending the money for a new stock one. What is a good steering upgarde kit. I want something that is a bolt on kit but stronger than stock. I think the Currie kit is a little expensive is there something that is just as good but cheaper? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You!

Last edited:
Tera makes TRE's that are 1 ton size, 7/8" 18 thread, with the stock Jeep taper. It comes with their upgrade steering kit with aluminum links. The aluminum links could be fine for some, but they can bend in the rocks. However, you can buy the TRE's from them and make your own links, and not have to ream the pitman arm and knuckles for the larger taper.

My 2 cents.......I've had the 1 Ton steering, the Bomb Proof steering and the Currie steering.

The first two work really well but believe me drilling and reaming is a BIG PITA! The Currie is worth the money do that.

98XJROKS said:
My 2 cents.......I've had the 1 Ton steering, the Bomb Proof steering and the Currie steering.

The first two work really well but believe me drilling and reaming is a BIG PITA! The Currie is worth the money do that.
Really? I did my JCR kit which involves reaming knuckles and the pitman arm, and it took me a couple hours. Was hardly a complicated install.
Just take your time and do it right the first time. Dont want to have to go buy new knuckles because you reamed them to far.

Starboard M said:
Really? I did my JCR kit which involves reaming knuckles and the pitman arm, and it took me a couple hours. Was hardly a complicated install.
Just take your time and do it right the first time. Dont want to have to go buy new knuckles because you reamed them to far.

I was able to cut right thru the knuckles like butter, but I couldnt even scratch the pitman arm. I ended up taking it a machine shop to have it drilled. Also, you better be careful with the knuckles or you'll go too far which provides a sloppy fit.

Currie is unreal strong and bolts right in...

Back