• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goodyear MT/R tread direction

Ontrack

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a set of used Jeep Moab wheels and Goodyear MT/R's off a Rubicon to put on my '98 XJ. Is there a proper rotational direction these tires need to be installed? I can't tell from the tread. I did a search on the forums but propbably don't know the proper terminology to find the answer.

Thanks!

No, there isnt a specific direction, however....

they're not off of a JK Rubicon are they?

Uh oh. They are off an '05 Rubicon. The bolt pattern in 5x4.5. Did I miss something else? Hope not. I already got em.

Although they may not be a directional tire. Keep in mind when a radial tire has been turning in a given direction, it is best if not switched.

05 isnt a JK, thats still a TJ...

The new JKs are a 5 on 5 or 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern...cant remember which...

You are just fine. Dont know about the whole turning in a given direction....how else would you rotate your tires? unless you just swap from front to back on the same side all the time...?

i worked at a tire shop for a year and your best bet on this type of tire is to bring both front tires straight back and then criss-cross the rear when you bring them to the front. (the passenger rear to the driver front and the driver rear to the passenger front.) that is what i have heard is the best way to keep them from getting chopped up.

Thanks, thats what I thought :)

pottenger said:
Although they may not be a directional tire. Keep in mind when a radial tire has been turning in a given direction, it is best if not switched.
So, you don't switch sides when you rotate your tires? :confused:

radar95zj said:
i worked at a tire shop for a year and your best bet on this type of tire is to bring both front tires straight back and then criss-cross the rear when you bring them to the front. (the passenger rear to the driver front and the driver rear to the passenger front.) that is what i have heard is the best way to keep them from getting chopped up.
That's what I thought! :confused:
Billy

radar95zj said:

That's the way I've always done it with radials as well.

The thread starter may be thinking of the old Goodyear MT. Those were directional, and a pretty good tire except for the butter-soft sidewalls.

Back