• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA Question

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I've looked around a little bit and still want some info...
I'm about to add another inch of lift and at that point, I'll need adjustable LCAs to keep my caster adjusted.
This is my DD we are talking about, so I need to find info on ride quality. I'd been planning an upgrade to WJ control arms for the better ride, but then I lifted the Jeep instead...:dunno:
Anyway, I'm looking at Currie, RE Flex or Ride, JKS if I can find them cheap... But what are you all running and what are your observations on ride quality? Also, what lift are you running and do you use adjustable UCAs?

I run the currie with about 4.5" of lift with no drop brackets. I have plenty of road feedback through the steering wheel. Rides much rougher than stock and a bit rougher than aftermarket arms with poly bushings.

They do cycle very nicely though. How much lift do you currently run?

Currently the front end is 1.5 over stock, going to 2.5 next time I have a free minute.
Sounds like 4+ requires drop brackets or longarms to regain road manners. I'm hoping to get away with LCAs that provide for good ride quality and that will be durable enough for the learning curve of how to drive in 4-low. Off road performance is important but most of my driving is at about 80 MPH, not crawling over rocks.

3" easy for stock arms. Wheels still relatively centered and the arms are at a "decent" angle.

I'd be leary about lifting your 98 to 3" and not needing a TC drop at a minimum. Maybe if you have a D35 you may not have as much noticeable vibes.

yossarian19 said:
I'd been planning an upgrade to WJ control arms for the better ride
Not sure where you came up with that,the only thing different between the WJ and the XJ is a little offset that allows better tire clearance.

WTF? You don't need LCA's for 2 1/2 lift.

The stock arms use rubber bushings at both ends. Rubber bushings, depending on their condition, will usually give you a softer, quieter ride than the poly bushings or flex joints of most aftermarket arms. RE is one of the few aftermarket companies that use rubber bushings on both ends of their arms (super ride arms).
Anyway, as stated, you dont need adjustable arms for 2.5" of lift. Theres plenty of caster adjustment in the control arm mount if you need to mess with it at all.

ia green96 said:
WTF? You don't need LCA's for 2 1/2 lift.

Well, you need LCAs or shims for optimal caster.

Ray H said:
The stock arms use rubber bushings at both ends. Rubber bushings, depending on their condition, will usually give you a softer, quieter ride than the poly bushings or flex joints of most aftermarket arms. RE is one of the few aftermarket companies that use rubber bushings on both ends of their arms (super ride arms).
Anyway, as stated, you dont need adjustable arms for 2.5" of lift. Theres plenty of caster adjustment in the control arm mount if you need to mess with it at all.

JKS arms use rubber bushings too....

I wonder if you could use their rebuildable johnny joints at one end....? not sure if they'd fit...?

RCP Phx said:
Not sure where you came up with that,the only thing different between the WJ and the XJ is a little offset that allows better tire clearance.

The WJ arms are also 1/2" wider at the frame-side mount, and have a substantially larger and oval-shalped rubber bushing. Additionall, they are made from box steel instead of stamped chanel.

I'll get away with shims for caster? Good to know - I'll use the cash for OBA & some other junk then... Hell, maybe I'll invest it.

yossarian19 said:
I'll get away with shims for caster?

I have caster back to spec with 3" of lift using shims on my '95.

Back