• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear disc brakes possibile.....

leek

NAXJA Forum User
Has any Jeeper out there converted a 86 XJ to rear disks? If so, where would I go for info on the kit/swap? I despise these rear drums...they need to go...
Rear axel-dana 35

Thanx!

yes, it has been covered her many times. im not sure that i would spend that kind of money on a dana 35 personally.

93-98 Grand Cherokee rear discs will be a direct bolt-in for the D35. For more information, google search it. Been done plenty of times.

stewie said:
yes, it has been covered her many times. im not sure that i would spend that kind of money on a dana 35 personally.
X-2,

I would do a search on the ford 8.8 rear.
You will get your disk brakes, and axle upgrade in one shot without spending allot of money.
Just something to consider.

Good Luck.

Just cut sheet metal disk to fit between drum and rim. Drill to fit studs. Most people will think you have disk and stop kicking sand in your face.

yossarian19 said:
93-98 Grand Cherokee rear discs will be a direct bolt-in for the D35. For more information, google search it. Been done plenty of times.

Not on an 86 as it's a non-clip D35 and has a different backing plate hole pattern than the c-clip D35. It also has a bearing retainer plate that isn't needed on the c-clip axle. Crown Vic brakes are actually an easier swap as you don't have to redrill anything. You will have to make a spacer for the bearing retainer plate. Again, searching will be your friend.

lawsoncl said:
Not on an 86 as it's a non-clip D35 and has a different backing plate hole pattern than the c-clip D35. It also has a bearing retainer plate that isn't needed on the c-clip axle. Crown Vic brakes are actually an easier swap as you don't have to redrill anything. You will have to make a spacer for the bearing retainer plate. Again, searching will be your friend.

Damn, didn't know that. Thanks for saving the man some trouble, and apologies to all whom I mislead.

Back