• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DANA 30 rebuild

pecsxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to put some 4.56 gears in my D30, what are some other things that I should replace while I have it torn apart. I am looking for all suggestions here since this is my first time rebuilding an axle. By the way, I am going to take the entire axle out from under my jeep so I don't want to miss anything. Also, what kind of paint should I use on it? I don't have to worry about the rear cause I am getting a chry 8.25 to put in. Thanks in advance.

I personaly would change axles to alloy ones with the larger, stronger u joints. Depending an which gearing you have now you may need a different carrier too. Some ring gears are one diameter while others are a different diameter. Axle seals are nice if any type of water crossings are anticipated. If you are going to take it out to rebuild it you may want to replace all the control arm bushings too. As for paint I would hurculiner it, but some just paint them with anything thats laying around, some go so far as to have theirs powdercoated.
Best of luck----I know I have left something out but cant think what at this time. Maybe someone else will make a contribution.

Just buy a master install kit - that will have all your seals and bearings in it. If you plan to add a full carrier locker now is definitly the time to do it! and Like mike said maybe some alloys and joints... but thats something you can do later. buy some outer seal while you have it apart.

When talking about bigger or stronger axles, you get a large U-Joint, which is most important point. A diff. you can lock and unlock would be ideal for Utah if you use it as a daily driver. A locked front end on a snowy road were one track is wet or dry, and the other track is icy or snowy can be a handful with one tire grabbing traction suddenly.

mikeforte said:
. Depending an which gearing you have now you may need a different carrier too. Some ring gears are one diameter while others are a different diameter.
Huh?...............never knew that! Seen different size pinion heads/# of teeth that require a thicker or thinner ringgear, but never seen different diameters within the same housing.

Thanks for all the good advice!! I plan on runnning 33 12.50 for now until I can afford a 4.5-5.5 lift. And someday I will upgrade my axles and try to get hubs for it as well (Millitary pay is not that great.) I am going with 4.56 so that down the road I don't have to do it all again. I am pretty sure this is going to be one of those long term builds if you know what I mean. Thanks again for the help. will put pics up whenever I get this done.

Seals Shafts or at least rebuild the Joints, a locker. All new bushings in the steering and the control arms and track bar. Good hiheat paint should last a while or you could get that rubberized coating for it maybe.

i could be wrong but i'm almost certain that the new carrier is needed to move the ring gear closer to the smaller pinion... using the metal that the gear is made out of to make it thicker would be much more exspensive than making a carrier with a different offset. thats what i've always heard anyways.

I think I will talk to my local axle shop to determine whether or not I need a new carrier before I order everything.

you'll need to determine what your current gear ratio is right now. There are two different carriers. one is for ratios between 2.73 and 3.55. while the other carrier is for 3.73 to 4.88. so if you have a 4.0L with stock gearing, then most likely you will need a new carrier.

BADaXJ said:
i could be wrong but i'm almost certain that the new carrier is needed to move the ring gear closer to the smaller pinion... using the metal that the gear is made out of to make it thicker would be much more exspensive than making a carrier with a different offset. thats what i've always heard anyways.

Ding-a-ling-a-ling!....We have a winner!

BADaXJ said:

Alright cool, so as you can probably tell I am new to this so were do I get a new housing? Like I said before this is my first axle build so spare the cheap shots. thanks

once again thanks for the tips everyone i really appreciate the help.

i'm assuming you haven't bought the parts yet. when you order, i'd suggest that you check out DC4WD. i bought a set of yukon 4.56's for my D30/8.25 from him with both master install kits and a new carrier shipped for $456 even. i ended up totaling just a bit less that $1000 when everything was said and done which is a pretty decent price i think. I also just order a set of RK long arms from him too for $475 shipped. his prices have always been low and i've had good experience with him...

BADaXJ said:
i'm assuming you haven't bought the parts yet. when you order, i'd suggest that you check out DC4WD. i bought a set of yukon 4.56's for my D30/8.25 from him with both master install kits and a new carrier shipped for $456 even. i ended up totaling just a bit less that $1000 when everything was said and done which is a pretty decent price i think. I also just order a set of RK long arms from him too for $475 shipped. his prices have always been low and i've had good experience with him...

good stuff I will only need the d30 stuff

If you or your buddies are good at fabricating, now is a good time to truss the Dana 30 and to re-inforce your control arm brackets. The 231 t-case D30 passenger side upper control arm bracket is notoriously weak. The LCA brackets have a tendency to rip at the welds.
Good Luck.

Back