• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is my exhaust bent???

irish636

NAXJA Forum User
i was looking at my exhaust today, and i noticed right after the header where the tubing bolts together my tubing is bent on both sides?? its like u took pliers and crushed it??? somebody was telling me that that was stock, which i find hard to believe. theres probably only about a 1.5 inches of clearance that the exhaust can flow through. i would think that this would kill me in performance, mpg, etc.... please guys help! thanks

so the front driveshaft clears the exhaust at full tuck.

i dont think i will flex that much. i wonder if you put a straight piece right there if it will give u more power? u might lose some bottom end though??

irish636 said:
i dont think i will flex that much. i wonder if you put a straight piece right there if it will give u more power? u might lose some bottom end though??

Why would you lose some bottom end? You don't need backpressure for torque. You need less backpressure for torque.

I have read here that if your Jeep is lifted, you won't have the driveshaft clearance issues, and you can have an exhaust shop custom bend one for you without the crush...

mattbred said:
Why would you lose some bottom end? You don't need backpressure for torque. You need less backpressure for torque.
i thought it was the exact opposite??? my jeep is lifted a tad over 2inches. should i just say screw it and leave it? anybody know of people who have had it done and if they noticed anything?

irish636 said:
i thought it was the exact opposite??? my jeep is lifted a tad over 2inches. should i just say screw it and leave it? anybody know of people who have had it done and if they noticed anything?
Backpressure is bad, but a 4" pipe would be bad as well because it would cause turbulence and that in itself would restrict flow. Backpressure slows down the piston on the exhaust stroke, so if there is a vacuum sucking it out in a well designed exhaust setup, or if there's practically no backpressure at all, you will have much improved engine efficiency, and thus better torque.

Back