• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cant Reach Ignition Switch

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
So im twisted up underneath the dash with my bearlike hands, trying to reach my ignition switch to unplug it, and cant do it. The metal BENDIX box gets in the way of me reaching the stupid plug. Besides dropping the column, is their any easy way to reach this stupid thing? The Chiltons sucks btw.

Also, to remove it, its the two bolts that also hold on the dimmer correct?

Ok. Because I am trying to unplug it first. Ill unbolt it first and then try again.

How does the rod come out now? I dont feel it. Is it under the switch, when it is mounted?

I am not at all sure that it is possible to unplug it without first unbolting the switch. The rod is under the switch -- you should be able to feel it directly on top of the column. You can turn the switch to help feel it as it moves.

When you unbolt the switch it should easily lift off of the curved end of the rod.

When I removed the dimmer switch, the actuating rod for it slipped out and fell to the floor. I finally got it back in place without removing anything up top but taped it to the column with a bit of masking tape before removing the switch the next time.

Pelican said:
I am not at all sure that it is possible to unplug it without first unbolting the switch. The rod is under the switch -- you should be able to feel it directly on top of the column. You can turn the switch to help feel it as it moves.

When you unbolt the switch it should easily lift off of the curved end of the rod.

When I removed the dimmer switch, the actuating rod for it slipped out and fell to the floor. I finally got it back in place without removing anything up top but taped it to the column with a bit of masking tape before removing the switch the next time.

This is exactly what I needed to know.

Scott thanks for the help as well.

Got the old switch and replaced it with a new one. Here is what 19 years will do to an ignition switch. NOW i know why I smelled burning.

DSC00740.jpg

Like a frikken rotten tooth.

DSC00741.jpg

so i had the exact prob. w/ my 94 xj. smelled burning all the time and one day EVERYTHING went out. i am wondering if that is caused by having all the accessories ON when the ignition is turned ON , and there is such a load for that one power wire to handle it eventually (over many many years) just burns away as indicated in the above pictures? if so, might want to start turning all them OFF before starting the truck.

Back