• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worn axle u-joint symptoms

B.C.XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Had a quick search but haven't seen what I'm looking for. I'm wondering what the symptoms of worn dana 30 axle shaft u-joints are? At slow speed, sharp turns, I've got a pulsing in the steering wheel. I think this is from the u-joints. Would worn ball joints cause this?

If it is the u-joints can I replace my 297's with the 760's without any mods?

Jeep= 1998 XJ Auto, 4.5 RE lift, 31's.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like u-joints to me. My tj did the same thing and that's how it let me know my u-joints were going. The steering wheel would shake back and forth when turning.

I would agree with the U Joints being the issue, my drives side went out six months ago and did the same thing- my U Joint was completely wrecked, just barely hanging on.
As far as the swap, i'm not sure.

B.C.XJ said:
Had a quick search but haven't seen what I'm looking for. I'm wondering what the symptoms of worn dana 30 axle shaft u-joints are? At slow speed, sharp turns, I've got a pulsing in the steering wheel. I think this is from the u-joints. Would worn ball joints cause this?

Jeep= 1998 XJ Auto, 4.5 RE lift, 31's.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like the U-Joints to me, if you turn the wheel enough it might even 'click'

Ahh the sound of crunching needle bearings...

B.C.XJ said:

Jeep= 1998 .

5-760X substitutes for the 5-297X on the D30.

Tim_MN said:
5-760X substitutes for the 5-297X on the D30.

what's the other u-joint listed for cherokees? i went to autozone a couple weeks ago and asked for two front u-joints and they listed two or three but the cap sizes were all too small. I had to ask for 297's, which mine uses. What are these smaller u-joints they list in their database?

I believe that pre 96 model dana 30's used a smaller joint than the 297. I think it was a 260. Part of the XJ evolution into an excellent truck for the $.:clap:

I got some alloy usa axles, and they came with bigger than stock ujoints, they look frikkin bulletproof , thry have a grease nipple on every cap, you should look for these! I got them here : www.northridge4x4.com ,excellant customer service and free shipping to the border with orders over $100 if your close enough

Autozone lists the smaller ujoints for non ABS and the larger ujoints for ABS.

I don't have ABS so they sold me the wrong ujoints at first, had to go back and return them for abs ujoints (the larger 297's).

Just and FYI when you shop there, don't trust what the computer says.

We have this place called (Lordco) and no autozone. I beleive they are just as brutal

Where abouts do you live, bcmaxx?

I bought a speedo cable from the Lordco in Armstrong, BC, and it was too short (pinched too much) and they wouldn't let me return it because I threw out the box, and the manager was being a dick about it. Bleh.

if at all possible PLEASE stay away from the autozone specials! those last as long as a tank of gas driving @ 80mph on the highway! i would use OEM joints ( Spicer ) thats your ticket right there. they might be a few bucks more but you wont be disappointed in how well they wear.

oh and a real quick check to see if the front axle joints are bad. leave the truck on the ground, crawl under the front end, grab ahold of the joint and rotate it forwards and backwards. if you can see and feel and hear the joint moving around and see one half of the axle move while the other half just stays still then you know you have a bad joint in your hand.........literaly.

I'm in trail. I'm a jobber so they know I won't put up with B.S. Napa's very close!!

Blaine B. said:
Autozone lists the smaller ujoints for non ABS and the larger ujoints for ABS.

I don't have ABS so they sold me the wrong ujoints at first, had to go back and return them for abs ujoints (the larger 297's).

Just and FYI when you shop there, don't trust what the computer says.

I learned that. THey didnt have any larger ujoints listed under cherokees, only smaller ones. I told the guy to go measure and he saw that they are 1 1/8 or something and was puzzled. I asked him if he had 297 and they did.

I've always gotten autozone u-joints cuz they are cheap and i bash my rigs. Cuz of all the muddin we do, i change my u-joints yearly.

bcmaxx said:
We have this place called (Lordco) and no autozone. I beleive they are just as brutal

I work in a truck(commercial) shop in Langley, BC. Lordco is one of our suppliers. We seem to have a few issues with getting wrong parts more than we'd like. OTOH, if I need a part for my XJ, they seem to get it quick(and correct) and the discount is always good as is the service.

Ok if the front axle U-joints are bad are you safe enough to drive around in 2 wheel drive while awaiting the cash for the hub bearings? I know i will destroy them trying to get the axles out of them due to road salt and having 128000 miles on them. Sorry to hi-jack your thread.

Jeepm@n said:
Ok if the front axle U-joints are bad are you safe enough to drive around in 2 wheel drive while awaiting the cash for the hub bearings? I know i will destroy them trying to get the axles out of them due to road salt and having 128000 miles on them. Sorry to hi-jack your thread.

Same risk either way

oh and a real quick check to see if the front axle joints are bad. leave the truck on the ground, crawl under the front end, grab ahold of the joint and rotate it forwards and backwards. if you can see and feel and hear the joint moving around and see one half of the axle move while the other half just stays still then you know you have a bad joint in your hand.........literaly.

You must have really strong meat hooks or your joints were really worn. Tried giving mine a twist but I can't fit much of my hand in there and they seem tight.

Maybe I'll try checking them with a screw driver or something.

Thanks for all the input.:wave:

B.C.XJ said:
You must have really strong meat hooks or your joints were really worn. Tried giving mine a twist but I can't fit much of my hand in there and they seem tight.

Maybe I'll try checking them with a screw driver or something.

Thanks for all the input.:wave:

jack up the jeep and rotate the tire back and forth. you'll see play in the joint if it's bad but sometimes when it seizes up, there's no play so if that's the case, you have to remove the shaft and bend it manually to tell. I couldn't bend the shaft both times my joint seized up cuz of mud. There was no play but the joint couldn't not bend.

Back