• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft compatibility question

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I've got kind of a spur of the moment question. In the morning I need to take off for a total of a 6 hour road trip. Right now I'm thinking the ujoints in my rear driveshaft are questionable at best...they've gone about 6k miles without a good lubing and the rotation is just starting to feel a little rougher. Anyway, this XJ is a 99 lifted 2.5" with an AW4 and 8.25. Will the driveshaft from a 91 XJ with a AW4 and 8.25 fit? I'm planning on taking it along as a spare just in case I have problems. I've never looked real close or compared length, I've just noticed that the 96+ style have the dust boot. Is that any real difference? If anyone knows anything about this help ASAP would be great, trying to figure out if I should chance it or if I need to try to use a different car.

Slo-Sho said:
Incompatible.
Okay that solves that. Just out of curiousity can I ask why?

90PioSport99 said:
Okay that solves that. Just out of curiousity can I ask why?
The rear cone on the t-case was removed in 96. So starting in 96 the slip yoke on the DS is no longer used to seal the t-case. I havent compared the two driveshafts side by side but I would say that, because of the change in the t-case, the driveshafts probably use different slip yokes and may even be different lengths.

Ray H said:
The yokes at the t-case are different. 95 and older, the slip yoke is also used to seal the t-case. In 96 they changed the design of the t-case and did away with the cone at the rear so the slip yoke no longer seals the t-case.
Well I know the shaft is exposed on the newer years but if the spline count and length are the same I was just wondering what else is different. But if the yokes are different...there it is.

90PioSport99 said:
Well I know the shaft is exposed on the newer years but if the spline count and length are the same I was just wondering what else is different. But if the yokes are different...there it is.

I changed my post a little after you copied it, to include that the length of the shaft may be different but Im not certain of that.

Ray H said:
I changed my post a little after you copied it, to include that the length of the shaft may be different but Im not certain of that.
Okay, yeah I'm more just wondering about spline count/yoke style. Minus the dust boot a quick glance makes them appear to be very similar. I'm not sure though because most have said they are a completely different animal.

Slo-Sho said:
But there's just that sliver of a doubt...How can we convince you beyond a reasonable doubt?
It's not that I'm set in thinking they're the same. If you guys say they're different, I'm sure they are. That's why I figured I'd get on here before I throw a spare driveshaft in the back that won't even work. I'm going to grease the heck out of it and hope for the best. Good news is the reason I'm making this trip is to pick up a parts lot that includes a shaft from a 99. If I can just make it there, I should be good. Looks like the 8mm is going in the toolbox just in case.

If it's your only DS, then you can just swap yokes if you know how to change a U joint on the trail with a 4lb sledge and a 19mm or 3/4 socket (use a craftsman so you can get a new one). Otherwise a U pick it yard DS shouldn't be more than $20.

Also since you never specified a T case:huh:My post could be total BS.

Slo-Sho said:
Also since you never specified a T case:huh:My post could be total BS.
Sorry, it's in my sig so I always forget to post that info. It's a 1999 4.0, AW4, NV-231, 8.25.

Slo-Sho said:
Excellent, how about the setup that the donor DS came off of?
Technically, it was a 1990 XJ with an AW4/D35. I was using it with an AW4/8.25 setup out of a 1991 in the same vehicle with a 3.5" lift and it was working swell.

Back