• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Brake cable tension bracket!

Auburn Boy

NAXJA Forum User
Edit: On a '91 Cherokee:

Has anyone ever had a brake cable bracket break away from the underbody?

The bracket holds the end of the spiral cable conduit in place and acts as the tension point to actuate the rear e-brake.

Mine has pulled the spotweld completely out of the underbody steel!!

This removes the tension from the cable, and therby only allows the opposite brake cable to be tensioned.., Uneven e-brake set.

Can anyone suggest any potential repair technique?

My thougt are:

1.) chisel the remaining body steel off the face of the bracket.
2.) cut a "patch" out of some steel plate.
3.) epoxy the bracket onto the patch.
4.) drill two or three screw holes through the bracket and the patch.
5.) drill four to six screw holes around the edge of the bracket in the patch plate.
6.) apply bituthane (a tarlike sheet adhesive) to the plate.
7.) slap the plate and bracket patch onto the underbody in the original position.
8.) follow through all the screw holes with a drill.
9.) screw the plate down hard with the shortest sheet metal screws that will bite.
10.) spray paint the new assembly with underbody sealer.

Only a little work. (under the vehicle on my back for hours..,)

Last edited:
I did that exact same thing you're planning to do to my '92 (my bro's friend has it now at 294-6K) when the passenger side e-brake mount ripped off.

Let me suggest a solution/upgrade. I will try and find a pix and post it. I ran a bar from one rear seatbelt bracket to the other and drilled a couple of half inch holes for the cables. I then got a piece of metric all thread the same as used on the adjuster, along with a coupling nut and lock nuts. I used this to extend the actuator to the new location. It will give you nice long ebrake cables for articulation and it is a clean mod.

Auburn Boy said:
Edit: On a '91 Cherokee:

Has anyone ever had a brake cable bracket break away from the underbody?

The bracket holds the end of the spiral cable conduit in place and acts as the tension point to actuate the rear e-brake.

Mine has pulled the spotweld completely out of the underbody steel!!

This removes the tension from the cable, and therby only allows the opposite brake cable to be tensioned.., Uneven e-brake set.

Can anyone suggest any potential repair technique?

My thougt are:

1.) chisel the remaining body steel off the face of the bracket.
2.) cut a "patch" out of some steel plate.
3.) epoxy the bracket onto the patch.
4.) drill two or three screw holes through the bracket and the patch.
5.) drill four to six screw holes around the edge of the bracket in the patch plate.
6.) apply bituthane (a tarlike sheet adhesive) to the plate.
7.) slap the plate and bracket patch onto the underbody in the original position.
8.) follow through all the screw holes with a drill.
9.) screw the plate down hard with the shortest sheet metal screws that will bite.
10.) spray paint the new assembly with underbody sealer.

Only a little work. (under the vehicle on my back for hours..,)

Mine's in the process of peeling off also. Next spring I plan on cutting it out, cutting an oversized patch plate and welding it back in. Now is not the time whan I want to be under there, it can wait.

Back