• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Show me your recovery points!

Funrover said:
I have a few ideas on some I am gonna build up.. But am curious what others have done!

Thanks

Here's mine--got the same on back:

PittstonUs1.jpg

Picture019.jpg

trusty detours!! I have a class3 in the rear with a straight drawbar with a 1/3 inch d ring on it.(until I can afford the detours rear slimline)

offroadtrips108.jpg

I even had to use 1 of those recovery points in that pic LOL. If you put D-rings on your bumpers, just make sure you mount them right where you have them tie into the frame, also make sure your braced far enough back so you dont rip your rig in 2.

Funrover said:
and how are all of your bumpers mounted? 3 bolt holes per side?

:scared:

No!

The XJ requires the use of unibody tie-ins. These tie-ins extend back past the 3 stock bolts by including the steering box bolts and include a couple more. They are usually 1/4" plate. You need these on both sides. Using the 6 factory (3 per side) will likey rip out with a stout pull.

unibodybrackets.jpg

101_4235.jpg

You can see the tie-in's extending down the frame rail.

I have the C4X4 front to hook brackets. Then in the rear I have my custom bumper with shackle mounts from rokmen. I plan on building a front bumper soon so I can get rid of the hooks even though they havent failed me yet

click to enlarge

You guys using detours bumper is there any overheating issue? It looks like most of radiator air flow would be blocked off with winch.

Haleyes said:
:scared:

No!

The XJ requires the use of unibody tie-ins. These tie-ins extend back past the 3 stock bolts by including the steering box bolts and include a couple more. They are usually 1/4" plate. You need these on both sides. Using the 6 factory (3 per side) will likey rip out with a stout pull.

unibodybrackets.jpg
Not to start anything, but your bumper itself is still only bolted on with three bolts per side. Granted, they are bolted to frame plates, but I don't see why a bumper couldn't be bolted to tow hook brackets and be fine. That would be as strong as, if not stronger than, a front receiver-mounted winch setup.

Back on topic--I have C4x4 tow hooks on front, but as soon as it warms up I'm taking the actual hooks off and switching to shackle brackets. In the rear, I just have a sturdy hitch.
EDIT: Forgot a pic.
IMG_0632.jpg

Funrover said:
and how are all of your bumpers mounted? 3 bolt holes per side?

The 3 bumper bolts are not enough mounting points to safely use for tow hook bracket or bumper mounting. You need to have a bumper/tow hook bracket that is equivalent to or better than the pictured stock mounting brackets and it should tie into the front cross member also. The other pic shows the damage from a undersized bumper bracket that pulled loose on the trail. The entire bumper came off the Cherokee and flew towards the stuck Jeep. You can see the undersized bracket outlined in the dirt on the framerail.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
I disagree Timber, as most will.

For the record, I also have inner plates as well as the "L" bracket on the front crossmember.

I knew I'd catch crap for that, but look at your own picture. The actual bumper's mounts themselves (only those truly, physically part of the bumper) use three bolts per side.

jeep ride said:
You guys using detours bumper is there any overheating issue? It looks like most of radiator air flow would be blocked off with winch.

Ive only had my Detours mount and Warn X8000 on for a couple years, through two full summers. I have no issues with it overheating. I experienced no difference at all after I installed it.

Thanks for the info Ray H looking for a winch bumper Detours has a good price.

jeep ride said:
Thanks for the info Ray H looking for a winch bumper Detours has a good price.
You know the Detours Backbone isnt a whole bumper, right?
Its just the mounting system for the winch and shackles and reuses the stock bumper.

Back