• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Confusion between the 8.25 and the D35 axles

mtmetzger

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and cannot find a quick positive answer to this question. I have been told my axle is the 8.25, but according to this other picture I found, it is a D35. There are no markings on it that I could find, so can anyone tell me for sure what it is? I just ordered my lift kit yesterday and said it was an 8.25 and if it's a D35, there's probably still time to have RE swap out the U-bolts before they send it. I'm not near the jeep right now or I would just measure the thickness of the axle tubes.

1995 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L HO
Auto
D30 front axle
NP231 t-case
???? rear axle
I dont think it has ABS, but it does have a hitch. I can't tell if its a factory hitch or not though.

Diagram that has me confused:

axle.jpg

My axle:

Axle.JPG

Axle (1).JPG

Axle (2).JPG

Axle (3).JPG

Axle (4).JPG

Axle (5).JPG

Axle (6).JPG

Axle (7).JPG

It's an 8.25. It has a large, flat lip below the bottom 3 cover bolts. The lip can be seen from either side. It extends farther down than the actual diff cover. The D35 has no lip at the bottom.

gregmondro said:
That is definitely an 8.25

x2: Just a note to check the ubolts before tearing apart the rear, mostly if it is your DD. RE sent me D35 ubolts instead of C8.25, I am quite sure it was 4wheelparts error. I just drove to RE here in Sac and picked up the right set.

Thanks for the replies guys! I just got off the phone with Richard at Full Size XJ gear and he verified that it is an 8.25 as well. I just wanted to be sure I get the right u-bolts the first time around so I can install the kit next weekend.

8.25 Rubber Plug Good luck with your lift!

also a 8 1/4 was a car axle. there are 3 bumps above the pinion yoke for a snubber. dead give away every time.

1985xjlaredo said:
8.25 Rubber Plug Good luck with your lift!

35's have a rubber plug too

my pos 35 has the rubber plug, you lucky dog you have the 8.25, wanna trade?? mine has a new rubber plug!!!!! lol

XJensen said:
x2: Just a note to check the ubolts before tearing apart the rear, mostly if it is your DD. RE sent me D35 ubolts instead of C8.25, I am quite sure it was 4wheelparts error. I just drove to RE here in Sac and picked up the right set.
the RE kits come with Dana35/44 ubolts by default but you can request for them to switch to the 3" ubolts for the 8.25 axle when the order is sent in.

Starboard M said:
Dont think the 89 has a 35c, rather a semi-float 35.

shelbyluvv, what is a snubber?

It is a chunk of rubber that would press against the floor pan. A lot of MOPARs used this setup. It is designed to control axle wrap.

Back