• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for us 2wders

cds36

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all im pretty new to the forum but i have a question, I have a 2wd xj being set up for speed stuff. Are most of the trail you guys go on for 4wd only or are there some that us 2wd guys can do also. I plan on locking the rear and have herd "that il be amazed at what a locked 2wd can do" I would love to join you all in some of the runs you do but pretty sure a 2wd just wont cut it

They won't let you in Azusa with 2wd, but seeing as you're planning for the go fast stuff you'll be fine at Pismo, Glamis, etc.

2wd can be plenty of fun, but there are just a limited number of places that it can be used. I drive plenty of trails in 2wd and don't ever need the 4x4, but its a pain it the ass when you get stuck in the sand, mud, etc. and cant lock in the front.

My suggestion would be to start looking for a 4x4 model. A stock 4x4 will out do a locked 2wd in almost all circumstances.

You could probably do half of big bear or more in 2wd. might need a strap in a spot or two. Out in JV i'd stick to the flats. 33"s and a 4.0 isn't enough to even pull you to the top of some of those sand dunes in JV. But there is so much back country exloring you can do in JV. You can get out to some wild places and some real quiet places. Good places to dump a body or get nasty with the woman on the hood.

IslanderOffRoad said:
They won't let you in Azusa with 2wd, but seeing as you're planning for the go fast stuff you'll be fine at Pismo, Glamis, etc.

Not true. You can enter Azusa off road park with a 2wd if you get a green sticker for it, just like a dune buggy. It costs $24 for two years. Get them at DMV. Of course once you get there you may not get far...

P9113456.jpg

The Red Baron said:
Not true. You can enter Azusa off road park with a 2wd if you get a green sticker for it, just like a dune buggy. It costs $24 for two years. Get them at DMV. Of course once you get there you may not get far...

P9113456.jpg

Good to know. I just remember them checking for a T-Case handle when I went in.

Our schedules haven't let us tag along with the NAXJA group yet so I don't have comparisons with them, but we do have a light weight 2 W.D. with PowerTrax Limited Slip.

1996, 4 cyl., 5 speed manual, 4.11's, factory F. & R. skids, hitch and hooks.

I didn't know about Azusa, we haven't "wheeled" there since we had our "Baja Bug" 25 years ago. But we have driven Rincon Cutoff without problems. It was fun watching watching the "pre-runner" 2 W.D. Toyotas try to make it over wet rocks.

We've driven the Geology Tour at Joshua Tree without airing down.

Anza Borrego was fun until we got stuck in clay mud hidden under sand, the tires loaded and spun. With 4 W.D. we would have made it much further before we got stuck.

OBSERVATIONS;

I wouldn't drive to Mt. Baldy on a snowy day (or anywhere where ONE wheel could loose traction) without the PowerTrax.

With manual trans and no low range you can't go slow enough without abusing the clutch.

If you know you need to drive home and then to work Monday, you tend to watch how you drive.

We have an '89 4X4 waiting for its' budget upgrades and I'm not expecting a lot more unless I get another locker.

Mike

Yeah last year me and a frind went on i think road 1n09 all the way to Mill Creek Road in snow was alot of fun, only had problems when going up a grade which was really icy but made it, with no locker or anything, come to think of it we were pretty stupid going really fast through all those turns lol.

Rawbrown said:
You could probably do half of big bear or more in 2wd. might need a strap in a spot or two. Out in JV i'd stick to the flats. 33"s and a 4.0 isn't enough to even pull you to the top of some of those sand dunes in JV. But there is so much back country exloring you can do in JV. You can get out to some wild places and some real quiet places. Good places to dump a body or get nasty with the woman on the hood.

Would it be ok to get nasty with the woman than dump the body?.......SANTA

The Red Baron said:

P9113456.jpg

If you show up with a lifted truck and you say it is 4WD they may be dumb enuf to let you in. I have a stock durango and they made me engage the 4WD before they would even let me pay to enter.

There is a posting stating the 4WD is required. The green sticker just means it is offroad legal for the entire year.

The Red Baron said:

P9113456.jpg
Last time I was there the ranger sent a guy from our group back to the parking lot because he didn't have 4WD. It also states in the brochure that 4WD is required for all trucks/SUV's.

All of these pics were taken in Azusa canyon over the past three years.

This one was just after lifting with a short arm Fabtech kit near the bathrooms. Note the bridge in the background.

PA312463Small.jpg

This one was just after I got my long arm front suspension but before the custom tie rods. Note the Azusa Canyon window sticker on the drivers side.

P7313164.jpg

This pic was after the custom tie rods.

934b610e.jpg

This one was after the Ford 8.8, 456's and Detroit locker. Click on it for the slide show.

So, you can't go into Azusa Canyon with a 2wd hmm. Is that your final answer?
rollinglaugh.gif

Next time you're at the ranger station, ask them if 2wd's with a DMV "Green Sticker" can enter if you don't believe me...

Last edited:
I'm sure they can under certain situations, i mean the Baja Bugs are 2wd, and they get in right?

The Red Baron said:
All of these pics were taken in Azusa canyon over the past three years.

This one was just after lifting with a short arm Fabtech kit near the bathrooms. Note the bridge in the background.

PA312463Small.jpg

This one was just after I got my long arm front suspension but before the custom tie rods. Note the Azusa Canyon window sticker on the drivers side.

P7313164.jpg

This pic was after the custom tie rods.

934b610e.jpg

This one was after the Ford 8.8, 456's and Detroit locker. Click on it for the slide show.

So, you can't go into Azusa Canyon with a 2wd hmm. Is that your final answer?
rollinglaugh.gif

Next time you're at the ranger station, ask them if 2wd's with a DMV "Green Sticker" can enter if you don't believe me...

And the fianl answer is...http://www.godunes.com/maps/azusacanyon.htm

Just because you have a green stickered truck makes it right ? What is the difference between your green stickered truck and a licensed 2WD truck ?

Just a simple question...

General Information:

Street Legal Vehicles are required to have 4 wheel drive to enter the OHV area, They are only allowed 450 Vehicles in the OHV area, so get there early if you want to get in on busy weekends
Alcoholic beverages are not permitted in the area, and all vehicles must meet local, State and Federal laws. Registration and spark arrestors are required, and all ATV riders must wear a helmet.
San Gabriel Canyon OHV area is only open on weekends and holidays. All visitors are required to be out of the area by sunset. Hours may vary due to changing weather conditions. This area may be closed at any time due to high river flow.

man, looks like you have one hell of a camber problem, does that thing eat tires or is it just the pics?

Leep, OK, you win. I give up. Don't take a 2wd to Azusa Canyon!

lastyear.jpg

GrimmJeeper, if I didn't feed it control arm bushings at breakfast it would have eaten tires for lunch. I have since gone to custom Delrin bushings on stainless steel pins. I looked into converting it to 4wd and bought my 99 Cherokee instead. I wish bought one years ago, this thing is sweet! :)

well you can take a bike in there and thats 1 wheel drive... and ive seen quite a few baja bugs in there lately, all with green stickers AND lic plates. i suppose im just adding fuel to the fire here, but if your vehicle is green stickered you are in like flynn. its like buying a permit to go anywhere the BLM and NFS regulates.

Back