• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque converter to flex plate question

sharq

NAXJA Forum User
is it necessary to bolt the torque converter to the flex plate using the same bolt holes that were mated before they were unbolted?

96 4.0, 95 AW4

not sure if im being clear enough here with my wording. i was anticipating pulling the motor after i had a hole blown in a piston due to predetonation to build a mild stroker but ended up taking the easy way out and replacing the piston and having the the head resurfaced. i had the motor ready to pull but i had to push the jeep to a different part of the yard during the work and im afraid the torque converter rotated when i pushed it.

is it a problem if the torque converter is not bolted back to the flex plate in the same position as it was before. will it only bolt back one way? will the converter have moved while i was pushing it around the yard? is this a stupid question?

i believe it must be in the same position. i believe the timing will be off if not. i thought it could only go on one way because of the bolt pattern.

Both units are individually balanced. While it's preferred to maintain the relationship between the TC and flexplate, it isn't totally necessary (I do out of habit - it takes five seconds with a small can of spray paint...)

Location of the flexplate proper is important - as the CPS reads it to generate timing signals for fuel injection and ignition. I believe you'll find that one of the screw holes is offset from the pattern just slightly - put the flexplate in place, and check all the holes for alignment. If one (or more) is off slightly, turn it to the next position and check again. If the flexplate or flywheel is going to be remounted, a small can of spray paint can help here as well (once you remove the first screw, you give the hole a quick spray. This marks the hole in the plate and in the crankshaft, allowing you to line them up easily. Once you've painted the first hole, you then remove the rest of the screws. Ditto when unscrewing the TC from the flexplate - or when removing the clutch cover. Be careful to not get any paint on machined surfaces or clutch friction material, tho...)

Back