• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Gages Location

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
I found this pic on 4x4xplor.com http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/XJ/DSC01830.jpg
Has anyone done this? I have the full gage cluster so what else could I have in there. I was thinkg of temp gages for the transmission and the tcase.

With them all the way over there it be nice to have them kind of turned to face the driver better.

Not to rain on your parade and maybe it's just my opinion, but why would the passenger care? Most of the time gauges are set up on the passenger side for the co-driver to read in a racing situation when the driver is focused on the road. I personally wouldn't want to be on the road with you if you decided to look at t-case temp and came over into my lane because you have to lay down in the passenger seat to see it. Mount them on the a-piller or on top of the dash or something but please don't put them there.

Speaking of A-pillar attachment, and not to hijack, but does anyone make the plastic "pods" for a jeep? or would a universal fit one work?

97XJ2 said:
Speaking of A-pillar attachment, and not to hijack, but does anyone make the plastic "pods" for a jeep? or would a universal fit one work?
I thinka search on this and other forums will devulge that universal "A" pillar pods are the only ones available for the XJ.

As for what gauges to mount there I vote for tranny temp and amp. The OEM gauge is a volt meter not an amp gauge I think.

Please correct me on any of these points if I am wrong.

Mako Offroad on eBay used to make A pillar pods for XJs, but I think they disappeared. I put two in the front of my center console with a couple of switches in my 91. One was trans temp and the other was going to be an air pressure gauge for my OBA.

HPIM0756.jpg

i like the door lock switch location too ;) removable?

jeepcomj said:
i like the door lock switch location too ;) removable?

Yeah, I made the doors removable, but still wanted control over the rear windows so I extended the harness and used the space there for the control panel. Worked well once I trained myself to reach there for the switches.

On a side note, if you ever plan to cage your XJ, A pillar gauges are probably not the best way to go.

97XJ2 said:

Autometer does. I got mine on ebay for $9.

mecompco

could you take a pic of the apillar when ur done? i'm thinkin bout doing that to mine,

Back