• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 diff lube

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching the forums here for about an hour and am getting conflicting statements regarding the proper lube for this rearend.

Some say 80w90 and others say the proper lube for this axle is 85w140 or
75w90???

Whats the deal?I need to get fluid in there tomorrow.....

and is walmart supertech brand diff lube safe to use in the 80w90 flavor???
I am sticking to conventional dino fluid so synthetic is not an option.

TIA.

From the 2000 FSM:
API GL-5
thermally stable 80W-90 for standard applications
Heavy duty or trailer towing applications 75W-140 synthetic

BTW: Same for front

In my mind the 75w-90 and the 80w-90 are interchangeable. I agree with outlander with the applications. I like to use Mobil1 synthetic 75w-90. It costs more but how often do you change your lube and how much do you use?

If the Jeep is off roaded, the diff fluid should be changed fairly often, Synthetic is a waste of money in a vehicle that sees alot of mud or water trails.
Use the lighter weight if you dont tow, if you do tow, use the heavier weight. If your seals are leaking, use the heavier weight and they may not leak quite as bad.

I agree with Ray H. I've been running 75w-140 because I have a no-slip in my d44 because it keeps it quiet, and I tow regularly. I change it at the scheduled 12k mark. I've been using the walmart supertech because all the oil comes from the same place, you just pay more for the name on the bottle and the addative package.

thermally stable?

I do occasional light duty towing of my 4x8 trailer with a 600lb atv....is this enough to justify using the tow lube?Like I said it's "light duty" towing maybe 5x a year for 20-30 miles....

I don't get the "thermally stable" either. It either meets API GL-5 or it doesn't.

I use the 80W-140 even though I don't tow, but I believe in overbuilt/over kill.

outlander said:
I don't understand how 80w140 wouldn't be too thick in the winter.....thats almost double the viscosity of 80w90.

They are both multi-viscosity lubes.....

They are the same viscosity when cold 80w.

But when at operating temperature, the 80w-90 works as a 90w, the 80w-140 works as a 140w. Huge difference in viscosity.
If you are running stock tires, and spend most of your time on the road and don't tow the 80w-90 is fine. But bigger tires, lockers, off-roading and towing need the higher viscosity and extra protection.

pierceME311 said:
I. I've been using the walmart supertech because all the oil comes from the same place.

That is so unbelievably wrong...... There are 5 classes of base stocks that oils start from. These have a HUGE amount to do with what a lubricant ends up being like...... Good synthetics are from Class 4 stocks, Race and speciality lubricants are from Class 5. Walmart isn't.........

pierceME311 said:
all the oil comes from the same place, you just pay more for the name on the bottle and the addative package.

true, all oils come from mother earth or a lab, but they get refined in different places.

are you saying that mobil1, castrol, quaker state, pennsoil, kendall, redline, royal purple, amsoil all come fom the same refinery???

i agree some of the no name brands such as the walmart, kmart, or other discount stores that carry oils may come from one of the major refineries that make other oils.

there is nothing wrong with no name oils as long as they meet the requirements, but they dont come from the same place, that a "wives tale".

yea I was talking about the "warm" numbers,dont know why I mentioned cold.....I understand they are multi-viscosity oils.

I had a minor brain fade for a minuet.

Back