• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring install 8" help

mjdavis31

NAXJA Forum User
im almost done i bolted up th front of the leaf and went to bolt it in the rear and the spring eye is 2-3 inches away from the shackle? so im wondering what the problem is the shackle is stock do i need an extended shacle up what?

What brand of leaf packs are they?

Get a longer shackle. A long travel leaf spring pack often needs a longer shackle.

Problem is, you got an 8" leaf pack....

Higher arch, and aparently they didnt take into account eye-to-eye distance....

Put some weight on it...you might be able to flatten it enough with a heavy friend to bolt it up.

I wouldn't nuy an 8" leaf spring though...that thing is going to ride like a dump truck. You should have atleast gone with a 6.5" spring and a 1.5" shackle for more flex.

thanks for the input a min. after i realized wtf i was doing i added another shacle and bolted them up (temp.) i have a set of terre-flex 1.5 shackles i will put under it. the leaves are skyjacker it will be close to 10" of lift with 38 tsl's ford 9" and a hp 44 4.10 is the gear ratio that i have for now and i will be biulding some long arms. all im short is a truss kit from tnt and materals for my long arms.

the springs are far from cheap and are "soft ride" so i hope it rides good. fyi and not all dump trucks ride like crap im a disel mech. the ones these days are equipt. with air ride suspensions and ride pretty decent.

Last edited:
Well if your 8inch leafs were equipt with air ride then I'm sure they would ride nice... But an 8 inch spring ( 8" spring ---> U ) with a stock shackle (No where for the spring to go) is gunna ride like a square wheeled wagon. I hope you have insurance for the back pain you will experience.

i drive a 93 with a 5" lift and it rides great.the only high speeds my wheeler is gonna see is behind my powerstroke and beleve it or no the springs are not as high arch as you think not flat like stock but not U. even if, I have great insurance. the ride on the trail will not be much different the any other lifted rig. the difference is i will have more clearence and will not get hung up on things that a shorter rig will and before you say something about a 9" being a boat ancor to let you know it will be shaved. keep hating

So you're saying that your 8inch springs with stock shackles will ride the same on the trail as my 5inch springs with proper shackle angle?

Explain to me how your springs will go when they compress? When you compress a U to flat then they get A LOT longer from eye to eye. and when you have a short stock shackle the spring has no where to go... Therefor it's gunna ride terrible not flex worth a darn.

i have 1.5 terra flexs on mt dd i kept the stock ones arround? and put the second set on with my 8" leaves (it was late,cold and dark) will swap this weekend.

I had to get two guys to help me put my 6.5" spring in-- he had to get a jack, and lift on the bottom of the spring to flatten it out.. while holding it in with a pry bar.

I almost died.

unbolt the front eye and bolt up the rear eye to only one shackle (or no shackle). jack up the axle to put some weight on the spring pack and hopefully it will flatten out enough so the front eye slides into the pocket and you can bolt it up. If it won't flatten out with just the jeep put some weight in the back - sacks of cement, old engine blocks or something.

Stang5lgt said:
Trick to bolting up a leaf spring is undo the center bolt, then hook up main leaf to the Jeep take extra leafs C clamp them back together and put the center bolt back in. Had to do it when I put new Skyjackers on my F250.

That might have worked? but the shackle was pulled all the way foward and the spring was still 2-3 inches away. thanks

mjdavis31 said:
That might have worked? but the shackle was pulled all the way foward and the spring was still 2-3 inches away. thanks

Why wouldn't it have worked? If you loosen the center pin then it would drop the lower leaves some and relieve pressure from the main leaf - in turn - making it longer. Which would fix your issue if I'm not mistaken.

Back