• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slight grinding coming from clutch

Mdub

NAXJA Forum User
Did an engine swap a few months ago. At the time I replaced flywheel, pressure plate etc. I also replaced pilot bearing and throw out bearing. At a stop and in neutral I hear a very slight grinding coming from the clutch area. When I depress the clutch the sound goes away. After searching the forums most would say that is the throw out bearing. But like I said, I replaced that. I'm not sure if the sound has been there since the swap or if it just started. Seems to shift o.k., not as good as I would expect with a brand new heavy duty clutch though. Also shifts a little rough into third.

Any ideas? I don't want to pull the tranny unless I have to. I don't mind the noise too much, but I don't want to neglect and have something go high order and eat up my AX15. Thanks.

Sounds like you have a bearing noise in your trans. The input shaft stops when you push in the clutch.

Good call rick! I agree and here's proof below.
Alot of people mis-diagnose this as a bad t/o bearing.Think about it logically.When you let out the clutch in neutral the tranny input shaft spins at the same rpm as the crank/flywheel causing the noise.

I have the same noise.While I was swapping engines I left the tranny(ax15) in place and while hoisting the engine out I didn't notice that the tranny input shaft was hung up on the back of the motor......bye bye input bearing!!

I have since put 10k miles on it with out incident(noise bothers me to no end).I plan on dropping the tranny for input bearing replacement sometime in the future.

Last edited:
Guys, what bearing are you talking about (input bearing). Do you meant he pilot bearing? You definitely don't mean the throw out bearing.

they could be right but if you did not put any kind of lube on the t/o or shaft of trans. then you will hear come noise. or a pos t/o bearing.

I have this exact same problem. I pulled the tranny and it looks like the TO bearing is fine, I even bought a clutch kit and compared the parts, everything looks fine. Only on mine there are scrape marks on the spacer plate and starter which indicate that those were scraping on the flywheel.

Same thing though, if I push in the clutch, no noise. I also don't understand if outlander is talking about the pilot bearing or another one

not talking about the pilot bearing.Talking about the input bearing on the trans.
If you look at the front of the tranny it is the bearing that the main shaft rides on.

Throwout bearing usually goes before the pilot!! My guess is the throwout and I would replace both and add a new clutch while yer in there.:NAXJA: Even new bearings can fail!! Could be on the Trans but I still say double check the throwout and pilot!!

Last edited:
I have asked this before but does anyone know if the throw out bearing spins with the clutch engaged?
Does it constantly ride on the pressure plate fingers???Or only when the clutch is disengaged???

I always thought throw out bearing noises happen when the clutch is disengaged......and then go away when the clutch is engaged.

Bump. Can anyone answer Outlander's last question?

I get the impression that no one knows.....
If I have time this week I'll pull the slave cylinder out of the bellhousing and see if I can tell,I'm still curious.

Back