• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Running gear question

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 sport, with the 4.0L, AX-15, and a 231. Today I was changing the oil, checking gear cases, and lubing the zerks when I discovered that my front driveline wouldn't turn freely, and neither would the axle u-joints. Is that just the way that these are or does that signify that it is staying locked in? I know most other 4 wheel drives front shaft spin freely with the exeption of AWD. Someone please enlighten me.

The XJ and all other Jeeps that use the D30 do not have lockout hubs. The axle shafts are connected all the time and spin when the tires turn. The front driveshaft will turn when you move also.

The XJ and all other Jeeps that use the D30 do not have lockout hubs. The axle shafts are connected all the time and spin when the tires turn. The front driveshaft will turn when you move also. he's right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back