• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5th Cyl. shut down

Gnat5680

NAXJA Forum User
im helping a friend out. she owns a 01 Xj. im not sure the engine specs. but when it hit 75 or so it will shut off gas to the 5th cyl. the mechanic who said that could not fix it and right now the engine light is on.

any ideas???

please ask questions. i do not know what to say in here on this sublect.

Okay, I'll bite and ask a few.
How do you know it's fuel and not the spark that is inhibited?
Have you read the code?
At what RPM's is the engine at 75 MPH?
Was it just once or is it repeatable?
Have you looked at, gone through, changed anything? Such as coil packs or spark plug wires?
At what RPM/speed does it come back on or run better? Or do you have to go through an off-on cycle for it to run smooth?

Okay that should start the ball rolling.

X2 on the spark plug wires and plugs. I had my Stratus do that but it lost the cylinder right from take off, turned out one of the wire broke and the clip that holds it the spark plug was stuck on the plug.

Chero-King said:
X2 on the spark plug wires and plugs. I had my Stratus do that but it lost the cylinder right from take off, turned out one of the wire broke and the clip that holds it the spark plug was stuck on the plug.
The '99 has a coil rail, no wires.

For starters, what is the code that's throwing the CEL?

Hmmmm....thats a fun one =)

I'm assuming you got that its the #5 cylinder by reading some code, yeah?

Were there any other codes?

I'd say get those and go from there.

But if I was sure that it was only the #5 cylinder not getting gas, my first suspect would be the injector.

WI88XJ said:
The 'coil rail' didn't come out until '00.

My fault..he said the XJ was an '01. I said '99, meant 01. Either way, the XJ in question doesn't have a distributor or wires.

We still don't know what codes are causing that CEL...?

sorry it took forever. she got the reading from a mech. up north. i don't know the codes but the guy said the code said it was the 5th cyl.

i will try to get more info from her.

It may be one of the ones with a bad head. Cracked cyl head and valve guides in at least 20 late model 4.0L Jeeps I have connected with in the past few years.

Back