• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My tranny gives up

razdrvr

NAXJA Forum User
When I try to go up very extreme inclines my tranny will act like it's been put into neutral. If i hit the brakes and hold my position I can hit the skinny pedal and the engine will just rev as if in neutral. I can let it roll back and once the incline is reduced it will re-engage. This has kind of been a blessing cuz when the incline is steep enough to cause this i'm pretty damn near vertical, it's almost like someone is looking out for me. I have an 89 AW4/242. Anyone ever expierience this or have any idea wtf causes this.

Last edited:
razdrvr said:
When I try to go up very extreme inclines my tranny will act like it's been put into neutral. If i hit the brakes and hold my position I can hit the skinny pedal the engine will just rev as if in neutral. I can let it roll back and once the incline is reduced it will re-engage. This has kind of been a blessing cuz when the incline is steep enough to cause this i'm pretty damn near vertical, it's almost like someone is looking out for me. I have an 89 AW4/242. Anyone ever expierience this or have any idea wtf cuses this.

Sounds like one of two things is happening.

A.) You're low on trans fluid and the extreme angles are allowing what little fluid is in there to get back to the back of the trans and allowing it to slip.

B.) Your clutch packs inside the transmission are starting to wear out and the extreme angle is causing a very strong load to be put on your driveline and the weak clutch packs can't handle it and it allows the trans to slip.

I'd check the trans fluid first (WARM WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING) and go from there!

The fluid is is at the correct level, and is fairly new, about 5k or so since last tranny flush.

torque converter

Yeah, if you're sure the fluid is at the correct level (with the engine warm and running) then I'd say either your torque converter like the other guy said, or the clutch packs inside the trans!

How many miles are on this heep?

There's 195k on the heep but the tranny has about 35k and about 9k on the engine. BTW I'm runnin 31s on the stock 3.55 gears. Could that be contributing to this? I know it takes alot more pedal to get her movin, and fuel milage is nonexistant. I'm getting about 150-200 miles a tank, (non corrected speedo)

Last edited:
I think I just jacked my own thread!

Back