• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ confuses blinker with Hazards...Wire shortage problem?

blackhawk411

NAXJA Forum User
So apparently when I turn on the blinker my hazards come on. This does not happen all the time because when I try to do it it never happens. But my friends have told me that and yesterday my wife told me because she saw it while following me home.

What could this be??? My blinker column thing's kinda broken, could it be causing it? When I try to turn on the left blinker sometimes it doesn't want to, it gets stuck and I gotta apply alot of force. Could this be causing the problem?

It,s a common problem.A new signal switch will fix it.
A search would have turned up many threads.
Wayne

X3, switch! Just did a 98, it only takes a few min. but then again I have put a few in.

The switch is a dealer only item and they run between 50-70.

I guess I'll X5 it. My hazards come on when I put my left blinker on, but shut off after I've turned some. My hazards at one point wouldn't come on for over 5 straight minutes after having the switch on, and then only one side came on. Taking it apart and cleaning it some does help, but it will come back and is just as easy to replace it.

hmm, good to know
my blinkers work fine but the last time I used teh flashers they didn't work right away then only the right flasher was working but after jiggling and turning on and off a few times they started working

that blows its a dealer only item tho

Replacing the turn signal switch on the steering column corrected this problem on my son's '99 XJ. It was intermittent, difficult to diagnose, but thanks to the posts on this forum we were able to solve this.

Thanks for the help, Dan

Mine would only do it if my Jeep was running. If I just had the key on the on position and turned the blinkers on, it wouldn't do it. The mechanic said he couldn't get it to do it the whole day he was working on it, but as soon as I turned it on and tried it, it started doing it, so then he agreed that there was a problem :)

Back