• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing 2 tires?

DevWinXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is there anything wrong with just replacing 2 tires with new and leaving the best 2 of the old set? I don't want to shell out the money for a complete set of tires and I want a full size spare. I figure the cheapest way to do with is replace the worst 2 tires with new and put one of the replaced on the spare. I just don't know if having 2 worn and 2 new will effect anything with the driveline. I have MT Baja MTZ 31/10.50/15.

I tend to destroy on average 1 tire per season. I have a warantee on them.

When I kill one tire and get a replacement, I throw it in the spare position. When I kill a second and replace it, the two new ones go up front. The best two remaining go on the rear and the worst as spare.

When I kill the next, I throw the spare on and the new one goes in the spare position until I kill a second, etc.

I almost always have newish front tires and oldish rear tires. It's fine.

Just make sure that the 2 new go to the front or the rear! Dont put them on the passenger or drivers side. I would put the new on the front and the best 2 on the rear. Are you going with the same tire again?

1985xjlaredo said:
Just make sure that the 2 new go to the front or the rear! Dont put them on the passenger or drivers side. I would put the new on the front and the best 2 on the rear. Are you going with the same tire again?
Yeah, I will keep the two together at front or rear. I plan on going with the same tire so they all match. I was thinking of putting the new tires on the rear so I have better traction for 2wd driving since this is my daily. Is there a reason I shouldn't do that?

DevWinXJ said:
Yeah, I will keep the two together at front or rear. I plan on going with the same tire so they all match. I was thinking of putting the new tires on the rear so I have better traction for 2wd driving since this is my daily. Is there a reason I shouldn't do that?

The traction is more important stopping than starting. Stopping power is up front.

If you blow a rear tire, it makes noise and you pull over. If you blow a front tire, it makes noise and pushes you all over the place.

If your tires are so bad that you have to worry about traction in two wheel drive, you need to replace all 4. ;)

You asked about the driveline.

Yes, there can be a problem with only installing 2 new tires - it's a problem that will affect 4WD transfer case operations.

When the circumference of the front and rear tires do not match, it can cause problems with shifting in and out of 4-wheel drive.

It can also cause increased wear to the transfer case.

Since you live in PA, and will probably see snow, I would not recommend this.

RTicUL8 said:
You asked about the driveline.

Yes, there can be a problem with only installing 2 new tires - it's a problem that will affect 4WD transfer case operations.

When the circumference of the front and rear tires do not match, it can cause problems with shifting in and out of 4-wheel drive.

It can also cause increased wear to the transfer case.

Since you live in PA, and will probably see snow, I would not recommend this.

The difference is not so great as to be a big of a concern?

The tires I would leave on have about 4/16th tread left. I only spin the back tires slick conditions if I give alittle to much gas. The main reason I would put the new tires on the back is to even out the wear. The back wears faster so instead of going through the old tires and having ot replace them soon I would rather even out the new with the old over time.

I can't see the driveline having problems with such a small difference. I can understand running 32s in the rear and 31s up front being bad. Thats just my thoughts though. I am not super familiar with 4wd vehicles yet. Been driving VWs for for years.

The symptom you would probably notice first is a hard time shifting in and out of 4 wheel drive.

===

and some time later...

The next symptom you would notice is a toasted t-case.

===

DevWinXJ said:
The tires I would leave on have about 4/16th tread left. I only spin the back tires slick conditions if I give alittle to much gas. The main reason I would put the new tires on the back is to even out the wear. The back wears faster so instead of going through the old tires and having ot replace them soon I would rather even out the new with the old over time.

I can't see the driveline having problems with such a small difference. I can understand running 32s in the rear and 31s up front being bad. Thats just my thoughts though. I am not super familiar with 4wd vehicles yet. Been driving VWs for for years.

4/16ths is 8/32's, which is how tires are measured in tire shops, yeah I know round down blah blah, but if it's 4/16ths, thats almost a brand new tire!!! You should be fine, but keep the best tires up front!

RTicUL8 said:
The symptom you would probably notice first is a hard time shifting in and out of 4 wheel drive.

===

and some time later...

===

I understand what you are saying. I don't think there will be enough of a difference between mine. Kinda like the normal wear difference between front and rear tires.

RTicUL8 said:
===

and some time later...

===

*way later* ?. I've been running mis-worn tires front/rear for 15 years on my pickup and 5 years on my XJ, with more than 10,000 4wd high range miles on each, and havent seen any problems yet. 50,000+ highway miles on a full time 4wd range rover, again no problems.

cal said:
*way later* ?. I've been running mis-worn tires front/rear for 15 years on my pickup and 5 years on my XJ, with more than 10,000 4wd high range miles on each, and havent seen any problems yet. 50,000+ highway miles on a full time 4wd range rover, again no problems.

I was just pointing out that there "can be" (not will be) a problem with the t-case.
It's a possibility - not a surety.

I had a 4wd engaging problem on a 242 t-case that was fixed by putting on 4 new tires.
But then again, it was 12 years old at the time...

I had to rework the t-case the following season.

Mine are 45, 20 and 11 years old in order. Most likely there was some other problem and this was aggrevating it?

Dunno. I should be safe to do though - some rigs roll off of the showroom floor with as much diff in front/rear gearing as new tires will cause.

I could see a scenario where a huge difference would be if you had some tread pattern with gigantic tread depth new. And if you had completely bald tires on one end, and brand new tires on the other. But even that would hardly make a difference. And by the time "later" comes around, the new tires will be warn down to not enough difference. And even then, you shouldn't be doing that because the bald tires should be replaced. The only other case would be if you two different BRANDS as well as different tread depth. Because mfgrs actual tire diameter will vary. But even than! LOL.

Listen to Cal, it doesn't matter.

it would only be a difference in diameter if you had a different size tire. Otherwise the difference between 2 new and 2 used tires of the same size is very un-noticable

Back