• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cps fixed, but another gremlin..

matt vanjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Two weeks ago i was driving home from work and i came to a dead stop in a tunnel at rush hour(on my wife's birhday) It had lotsa crank to it but wouldn't catch so I originally thought the fuel pump. But through all of your help on this board and the wonderful search function we narrowed it down to the cps. It had it's challenges (the 'ol dropped screw thing) but plugged it in and she started right away.

My only remaining issue now is on a few occasions I'll go to start it up (usually just having it run a short while) and i'll have just a dead turn of the key. No crank whatsoever, i do hear the fuel pump prime and all the accessory dash lights come on. So far each time, the remedy has been to pop the hood, remove the +battery terminal, wait ten seconds, put it back on, and it starts right up. What is causing this?! it feels like by removing the terminal i'm "resetting" something. I do know i have NSS issues as my backup lights haven't been good in at least a year, but that wouldn't be related to R&Ring the posi terminal lead? I also have a passive immobilizer which i'm getting wary of, but it seems like it's behaving. Anyone else had post CPS issues like this. Does the cps need occasional resetting? Did i do damage to the starter by cranking it so many times in vain? And no, no check engine light for any of these issues. Thanks

97 cherokee sport. 4.0L AW4

Back