• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wagoneer/Cherokee Advice

desertvet

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 1989 Wagoneer from a friend. It runs and is complete but looks like hell. My question for the folks here (I hope this is the right thread) is should I restore the Wagon or use it as a donor for the axles and such? It has Dana 44 front and rear with a 360 and Auto 727. Any input appreciated, and thanks in advance.

I assume you are referring to a Grand Waggy (FSJ). It could make a good tow rig....or you could part it out and use what you can on you XJ.

If you decide to part it out, I need the carb.

The Waggy axles aren't bad upgrades for XJ's. But for about the same money, HP44's and ford 9" can be built, and they're much stronger then Waggy 44's. I figured out that the hard way!. Waggy's never have low gears in them either, where as HP's and Ford 9" often already have 4.10's.

The rear is pretty much a bolt in swap, but the front takes alot of work to install.

So it might be better to just use the Waggy as is and not have to worry about body damage when wheeling.

I did not realize the front would be so difficult. I may just fix it up as is. thanks for the idea's.

87xjco said:
The Waggy axles aren't bad upgrades for XJ's. But for about the same money, HP44's and ford 9" can be built, and they're much stronger then Waggy 44's. I figured out that the hard way!. Waggy's never have low gears in them either, where as HP's and Ford 9" often already have 4.10's.

The rear is pretty much a bolt in swap, but the front takes alot of work to install.

So it might be better to just use the Waggy as is and not have to worry about body damage when wheeling.

Are you looking for the 2 or 4 barrel?

Jess said:
I assume you are referring to a Grand Waggy (FSJ). It could make a good tow rig....or you could part it out and use what you can on you XJ.

If you decide to part it out, I need the carb.

Go over to IFSJA.org and ask if you should part it out for your XJ. After you recollect your severed body parts, they will be real helpful getting that waggy back in action

Back